General discussion

armada 1700

By mark110a ·
I have a compaq armada 1700 laptop
in the bios (software controlled) there is a security area for locking the hard drive called
Drive Lock I wish to remove this I know the user password but in order to remove you need a manager password which I have lost.
How do you remove it and how dose it work

I do not need simple fix is there a way of removing at controller level on the hard drive and how do i do it

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

11 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

armada 1700

by skloo77 In reply to armada 1700

the master password is required as it controls the access to the drive. and is used to over ride the user password.

hence, if you have lost the master pass, most likely you will not be able to remove that.
but will still be able to perform recovery.

if you set the power-on password and the user password as the same then you will only be prompted once...
hope it helps.

Collapse -

armada 1700

by mark110a In reply to armada 1700

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

armada 1700

by opatzg In reply to armada 1700

Unless you're very experienced with taking laptops apart i'd take it to a dealer repair shop that you trust and have them flash the bios and reload them for you and reset your passwords from there. Laptop cases tend to be a litle trickier to open without damaging the plastic which holds it together and if you miss a snap point you may have a laptop which no longer holds itself shut.
good luck!

Collapse -

armada 1700

i'm ok at taking this laptop apart the hd is removable it is how to clear a software bios

Collapse -

armada 1700

by nook In reply to armada 1700

If the Compaq is still under warranty, I'd start by contacting Compaq support.

There should be a software command to reset the BIOS to it's default parameters (erasing the password).

good luck

Collapse -

armada 1700

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

armada 1700

by richard_barsby In reply to armada 1700

Hi I believe the HDD is locked actually on the drive if you try a spare HDD this will tell you if this is so. If it is like IBM laptops then you cannot remove the password without knowing it this is stated in their service manuals.

Rich

Collapse -

armada 1700

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by wlbowers In reply to armada 1700

The hard drive password is a secondary security measure in case the laptop is stolen.

As to date I know of no cracks for the hard drives short sending it to Compaq.

A hardware system that claims to be able to remove the password.

http://tinyurl.com/3yo2e

Or sending it to the drive manufacturer, if they will take it for a repair of this type.

As for the main password there are utilities that "CLAIM" to be able to remove them "IF" the machine will access the floppy first.

Yea the laptop has to access the floppy first.

http://tinyurl.com/3c4yx

Remove spaces after copy and paste.

I have not tried the methods described on this page. If you decide to use them you do so at your on risk.

There are sites that address the laptop password issue.

http://www.pwcrack.com/security_chips_ibm.shtml

remove spaces that occur.

Good Luck

Lee

Collapse -

by mark110a In reply to

Poster rated this answer.

Back to Hardware Forum
11 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next