General discussion

• Creator
    Topic

AS400 and Perle Controller Problems

by tglass ·

We are currently using an AS400 in another office for EDI. The situation now is that we use a Perle Controller to control our printer and the Perle is always going down. The printer is an Printek 8003 Forms Master. Is there a way to setup this type of printer on our NT network so that the AS400 can print to it without the Perle.

All Comments

• Author
    Replies

by foss ·

In reply to AS400 and Perle Controller Problems

It’s a long shot, but try going to http://www.driverguide.com or http://www.windrivers.com – You’ll possibly need to install a Jetdirect and configure it, and then install the printer on the server, try a test print etc. Worth a try, I suppose.

Best of luck 🙂

by morgen ·

YES!!! This is NOT a longshot, it’s a sure thing.

If you have an ethernet network with either Twisted Pair or Coax, you can use an AXIS 570 print server. It costs about $550. It communicates via TCP/IP, DLC, NetBEUI,TN5250E, 3270, IPX/SPX,Appletalk. I just finished installing 200 of them so I could get rid of dumb terminals/controllers. If you want specifics (including advanced technical information) email me at morgen@netzero.net

by morgen ·

ADDENDUM:

You CAN print directly from the AS/400 to a jetdirect card. HOWEVER, you will experience host transform problems and formatting will be lost in some cases. Furthermore, you can get an IPDS (intelligent print data stream) capable printer (and nic) and print directly to it. In short, though, the easiest one to administer is the AXIS print server.

by gutridgesj ·

you can use a print server box such as a netque box, connect via parallel cable and then use nt as the printer server to use tcp/ip. we do all our printers this way

by techadmin ·

You can install Microsoft SNA Server and configure it for printing.
      No troubles.

by printermanager ·

It?s old you should re-post.

by soporte_ms ·

you too

by estebandelatorre ·

First: Be sure to find a Windows driver for your printer.
      I suggest you to try emulate a printer using REFLECTION for the As/400. (you can download a free evaluation copy..) (less than 170$)
      You will need to install the printer in LPT1 of any Windows workstation with IP working.
      Turn AS/400 to AUTOCFG
      Install Reflection software, select printer via Telnet, specify the IP as/400 address and the give a name to the As400 Queue (a new one!) That?s all!
      Click the printer Icon and wait for the Ready message.
      You can customize almost ANY printer parameter (cpi, density, font, orientation, etc).
      From windows Panel you can specify your Printek 8003 driver or a Generic text only one.

Hope it will be usefull.

Thank?s for rating my time!

by rwscc ·

You would think that the con artists that post “If you solve a question, you should close it” would be disqualified from recieving points. If anyone else feels these freeloaders should be disqualified please give techrepublic the feedback on this matter. They are stealing points from people who try to give valid answers.

by tglass ·

This question was auto closed due to inactivity

Viewing 9 reply threads