General discussion

  • Creator
    Topic
  • #2093216

    ASP ADO Problem

    Locked

    by sean s. ·

    Here’s something that I’m not even sure if its a programming problem or an NT/IIS problem: I’ve created with Interdev an ASP script what uses ADO for an Access database from on my NT 4.0 Workstation and it works perfectly there and on other NT workstations & servers. But when I tranfer it to a specific NT Server, it doesn’t work. But it doesn’t give me an error; it just sits there until it times out. I know its the ADO connection because the server can run an ASP script fine without the database stuff. I checked and double checked the system DSN that I made for the database and it seems to be right. I created a Visual Basic program that opens the database w/ ADO just to see if there is some sort of problem with the database itself and that works perfectly. I even put some of the database stuff into a COM and an ASP script can run that. It just seems to be a problem when an ASP script tries to use the database directly. Is there something special that I have to put into the script?Or is there something on the server I have to change? I’ve been working on this problem for about 2 months now so any suggestions would be helpful…

All Comments

  • Author
    Replies
    • #3868862

      ASP ADO Problem

      by eduardo ·

      In reply to ASP ADO Problem

      One other thing that I would check on the server where the database resides is the permissions for the IUSR_ComputerName account. I know that the IUSR account must have read permissions to view the data in the database through a web page. If this is already set, see if it will work when you give more permissions like rwx. If this is not the problem, it might be that you need to install the latest MDAC (Microsoft Data Access Components) from Microsoft. They have them for download at http://www.microsoft.com/data/

      • #3832679

        ASP ADO Problem

        by sean s. ·

        In reply to ASP ADO Problem

        Thank you for your help, but I checked the permissions and they were correct. And although both Access drivers were version 3.51.171300, I will download the latest MDAC when the person in charge of the server comes back from vacation.

    • #3883030

      ASP ADO Problem

      by gbworld ·

      In reply to ASP ADO Problem

      You have a connection string problem. The most likely cause here is that you set up a DSN to connect to the database on your workstation and failed to create the same DSN on the server.

      If the server is set up the same way as the development workstation, you can create a file DSN. This can be a pain if you do not know the path, but works well enough even with ISPs that do not allow you to create a regular DSN. The downside is knowing the path.

      If this is on a network, set up a true connection string. You can do this with a variety of tools, including Visual Basic, the Visual InterDev data connection properties screen, etc. If you go against the tendency to the easy (ie, DSN) you will also realize performance benefits from going with a regular connection string. DSNs use ODBC, connection strings can use OLE-DB.

      I do not like the manually created strings as well, since all tools add crap that you do not generally need.

      Greg

      • #3832680

        ASP ADO Problem

        by sean s. ·

        In reply to ASP ADO Problem

        Thank you for your help, but I was hoping that I could use a DSN rather than connecting to the database directly.

    • #3866216

      ASP ADO Problem

      by rueggy ·

      In reply to ASP ADO Problem

      I think it could be the MDAC version you have. I have experienced the same problem accessing data from an oracle database. The program worked fine on most machines, but on the ones without the proper MDAC version the program would open, connect and then just hang. A new MDAC fixed it immediately.

      • #3832681

        ASP ADO Problem

        by sean s. ·

        In reply to ASP ADO Problem

        Thank you for your help, but I checked the version driver and both were version 3.51.171300. I will however download a newest version anyway just in case, but the person in charge of that server has been out for the last 3 weeks.

    • #3867579

      ASP ADO Problem

      by hclarius ·

      In reply to ASP ADO Problem

      Greg gave you what I believe is the correct answer. The only clarificatiuon is that if you set up a DSN make sure it is a “SYSTEM” dsn.

      • #3832682

        ASP ADO Problem

        by sean s. ·

        In reply to ASP ADO Problem

        Thank you for your help, but I double checked and it had the correct system DSN.

    • #3832678

      ASP ADO Problem

      by sean s. ·

      In reply to ASP ADO Problem

      This question was closed by the author

Viewing 4 reply threads