General discussion

ASP+ or Java JDK 1.3.1 , Is Java death?

By cdeheredia ·
I am an experienced Construction Project Manager who is taking a free corse in BN University to learn to program. The course in on beginning Java 2. I am very excited at the opportunity but I have recently read in the microsoft.net that java is old,difficult and that the new ASP+ and XML will kill Java 2. How true can this be?. Gracias amigos.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

1 total post (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

ASP+ or Java JDK 1.3.1 , Is Java death?

by Keith_Brown In reply to ASP+ or Java JDK 1.3.1 , ...

In my opinion that is wishful thinking from Microsoft adherents. I don't think ASP will supplant Java. Don't get me wrong, I love ASP, but it has it's limits. ASP is for Microsoft IIS webservers only. JSP is almost the same functionality, only using JAVA as the scripting language, but it works with just about any web server including IIS. A lot of shops won't expose a Microsoft NT IIS webserver to the internet because it is less secure that Unix-based web servers like Apache running on Unix or Linux, and the MS software costs a lot of money while a Linux solution can be downloaded for free. Some insurance companies just recently raised the premiums for liability insurance for NT web servers, so there are financial reasons as well as technical reasons to avoid the platforms that support ASP. Java is multi-platform and ASP is not. I think your investment in learning Java is safe for many years to come.

Back to Windows Forum
1 total post (Page 1 of 1)