General discussion

assign a 169.254..x..x IP address

By northwood ·
At boot up time Is there a way to have win 2000 server assing itself a 169.254.x.x IP addresses ?

When there is not DHCP server, windows 2000 Professional will assign itself a 169.254.x.x IP address.

Is there a way to enable 2000 Server to also assign itsieldf a 169.254.0.0 address ?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

8 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by EnserNG In reply to assign a 169.254..x..x I ...

Using a DHCP Class ID, you could assign the 169.254.0.0 to a special scope along with a certain class ID, then assign that DHCP Class ID to the server using ipconfig /setclassid from the platform.

If you really want that machine to always be the 169.254.0.0 address, why not simply assign it that as a static, rather than having it boot to the DHCP server in the first place?

Hope this helps,

Nikk

Collapse -

by EnserNG In reply to assign a 169.254..x..x I ...

Actually, responder #3, the answer is correct, as the statement in the question was only informational, because that is what happens when there is no DHCP server available, not that the installation has no DHCP server.

Collapse -

by northwood In reply to assign a 169.254..x..x I ...

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

by Kate In reply to assign a 169.254..x..x I ...

I agree that the way to go is with a static assignment. However be careful, because you will not be able to access the internet or connect to any system that is not assigned a 169.254.x.x address. I am curious as to why you would choose to do this. But, I am sure you have reasons. =)

Collapse -

Collapse -

by Ian Mclaws In reply to assign a 169.254..x..x I ...

You have stated that no dhcp server is available, so answer # 1 is a little off the mark. Win 2K supports APIPA (automatic private IP addressing) on all of its flavours, including server. If it isn't working for you, its possible that an application, edit, or process has turned it off. You can re-enable APIPA in the registry by adding the registry entry IPAutoconfigurationEnabled to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces Adapter subkey. Give it a value of 1, and reboot. This should re-enable autoconfiguration of a 169.254. Incidentally, answer two is also wrong in that an APIPA address CAN be used to connect to the Internet, through a NAT service.

Hope this helps,

Ian

Collapse -

Collapse -

This question was auto closed due to inactivity

Back to Windows Forum
8 total posts (Page 1 of 1)