General discussion

Assigning software to users in SBS 2003

By yvo ·
How can I assign software to users when they are logged on to the Small business server 2003 through a remote desktop connection? The software was installed on the server, but is not available on the user logon ...

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by CG IT In reply to Assigning software to use ...

Have to have a package of the software you want to deploy [a .msi package]. Then determine if you want to assign or publish that package either to users or computers. Then configure Group Policy based upon the choices you made.

Just because the software is on the server, the software has to be a package that can be deployed [.MSI package]

Now SBS 2003 has some software that comes prepackaged [like ISA 2000 client program and Outlook 2003 [Outlook because Exchange is a part of SBS 2003 and is the interface between Exchange and the user]. Those are in a shard folder on the Server [BUT unlike SBS W2K, SBS 2003 does not automatically publish that shared folder in My Network Places AND Active Directory]. Because SBS 2003 does not automatically share and publish the folder those programs are in, they can't query Active Directory for it nor find in in My Network Places. To do that you have to share the folder and publish it in Active Directory.

Users then can search active directory.

If you have an application you want to be made available, you use Group Policy. Then you can assign or publish that application to either a user or group of users, a computer or group of computers.

Collapse -

by yvo In reply to

Thanks but how do I do this: "If you have an application you want to be made available, you use Group Policy. Then you can assign or publish that application to either a user or group of users, a computer or group of computers. "???

Collapse -

by response3 In reply to Assigning software to use ...

Depends on which software you wish to publish. If it is the default apps, like Outlook 2003, you can open server management, click client computers, and find the computer you wish to publish apps to. Right click and select Assign applicatons to this computer. If it is not there, you must load it from .msi file types. Most Microsoft products include this type of file on the cd, but 3rd party apps will have to be made into a .msi file.

Back to Networks Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)