General discussion

Asus A7M266

By aqmike ·
Upon installing the motherboard and processor, the computer will start booting,but after it gets through posting, the computer just sits with a blinking cursor. I've tried replacing the hard drive, but the computer still did the same thing. I've also tried physically removing the PCI devices and also the IDE device, except the hard drive, and reinstalling them one at a time and I always get the same results. Any ideas?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Asus A7M266

by D_V Ant In reply to Asus A7M266

Take the system down to just the video, memory and processor, clear the CMOS and see if it will make it thru the POST. Also remove any cables for any device not needed ie, all drive data cables should be removed from the mobo. If it POSTs, verify the jumpers on your hard disk (should be jumpered for master or single. Reconnect drive (double verify that the red stripe ont the data cable is at pin 1 on both the drive and the mobo. When the PC is starting, go into the BIOS and verify that the drive is being recognised properly (model and size). As long as it all POSTs, start adding things in one at a time. If it doesn't POST, try a smaller size drive or try the drive on the secondary IDE channel (or ry them both). Verify that the drives work on another PC. You may have just gotten a bad mobo.

Collapse -

Asus A7M266

by aqmike In reply to Asus A7M266

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

Asus A7M266

by TheChas In reply to Asus A7M266

Check that the clear CMOS jumper is not set to clear.

Make sure that the jumpers on the hard drive are correct.

I would start out in jumper free mode, and switch to other modes latter if desired. Make sure that all switches and jumpers are inthe jumper free position.

Most hard drives require different jumpering when used as a single. Western Digital drives will give you the symptom described when used as a single, and jumpered as a master.

Also, go into BIOS setup and verify thatthe settings for the drives are correct. I have seen systems hang if the boot device isn't present, or in the case of a hard drive, isn't partitioned.

Finally triple check cables and that the memory is seated.

Collapse -

Asus A7M266

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

Asus A7M266

This question was closed by the author

Back to Hardware Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  

Related Forums