General discussion

ASUS DRW-0402P/D no longer writes to DVD only

By hop228a ·
I have a Asus DRW-0402P/D (DVD-R/RW and CD-R/RW), running on XP SP2.

Up till recently, I'm not able to record onto any DVD media, it only allows
me to play DVD media or view listings. On the CD-R/RW, I can do everything,
that is okay. Does this mean the DVDRW mech. has packed up?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

13 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by ghimpe-- In reply to ASUS DRW-0402P/D no longe ...

Because you can read DVDs it unlikely that the DVD laser is damaged.

Are you using a new batch of DVD blanks?? If so try a different batch/brand.

Also a better description of the problem would help alot. When you say you can't burn DVDs, what exact error you get, what burning software are you using, etc.

Keep us posted. :)

Collapse -

by hop228a In reply to

I've only been using TDK single sided DVDRW media, which worked at the start, then several months later it stopped working for DVD media.But it still allows me to burn CDR/RW media.

I don't as such get error messages, it just displays the size of media as 0 instead of 4.7GB or something like that.I've tried using windows drag/drop (reports no media in drive),roxio easy and nero (both says non CD media in drive).

Collapse -

by hop228a In reply to ASUS DRW-0402P/D no longe ...

Point value changed by question poster.

Collapse -

by HAL 9000 Moderator In reply to ASUS DRW-0402P/D no longe ...

Well the thing is working correctly and it is even seeing the blank DVD's quite correctly and showing them a 0 size. These are unwritten to and therefore should appear as having no space available in Explorer.

Now to your problem, I'm betting that this problem started with a new batch of blank DVD's and most likely they where the new 8 X ones that seem to be giving problems. The 4 X ones just worked without a problem but for some reason the 8 X ones don't seem to want to play nice at all with almost every DVD Burner that I've run across.

The only way that I've been able to burn data to these 8 X DVD's is to go into the recording program and limit the burning speed to 4 X or even better 2 X which seems for some reason to work better and I have fewer bad burns at the slower speed. Previously I didn't have any bad DVD's spat out but ever since the 8 X have hit the market I've seen heaps of the things fail to burn and then sometimes only partially burn but as the file table is already written it is considered as full and you can not burn any more data to these disc's. I've also seen some out of the same batch not be recognized at all by the Burners and you get a "No Disk" report when you insert these but if you try another DVD from the same batch it will work.

See if you can lay your hands on some 4 X DVD and see if the unit starts working again I'm betting that it will unless they are of such poor quality that they are basically unusable. I don't know if you can get the Laser Brand DVD's where you are but these have always worked perfectly for me when they where 4 X in the past and ever since the new 8 X have been released I've had nothing but problems with the + & - Disks.

Remember that you can not have both Easy CD Creator and Nero installed at the same time as they conflict with each other and will not allow the burner to work.

I hope that is of some help to you if not lets know and I'll see what else I can come up with.

Col

Collapse -

by hop228a In reply to

When you insert new DVDR/RW media, shouldn't it show 4.7GB as total size and free space under MY COMPUTER? I'm pretty sure thats what it used to show when it was working, just like when I insert a blank CDR/RW media.

As mentioned before,I've been using the same DVDR/RW media type ever since I had the DVDR/RW/CDR/RW drive and it worked using 4x/8x.I have always been burning at 4x as sometimes buring at higher speed tends not to function corrently. Yes,I only use one buring program at a time.For some strange reason,I cannot use roxio anymore as during installation,I get an error message.

Collapse -

Collapse -

No a Blank DVD registers as 0 Space when you insert it. It is not until something has been written to it that you get any size available just like a blank Video Tape it will not work the timer on the VCR until it has been run through once.

Your Problem with Roxio what is the error message? Is it something about Easy CD Creator not being supported on XP?

That would be Easy CD 5 and that is OK provided you have the patch to install so it will work on XP.

I really still think you only started getting this problem after you got a batch of new DVD's which for some reason seem inferior to the older lots which where available on the market. I've personally am now avoiding TDK DVD's because of this problem.

But if that isn't the case just how old and where where your DVD's been stored? If they got direct sunlight on them they could all be ruined and it could just be a Media Problem. The same could apply if they where exposed to a central heating outlet or some form of heat which was not enough to buckle them buy they got hot enough to affect the dye on the DVD,s.
Either way the answer is to try another new disk and see if that will work.

Again I think it is just your media as I have experienced exactly the same problem recently when I got the last few spindles of DVD's some are not recognized by the drive and there are many others which just do not burn properly. Since I buy 1,000 at a time I have a lot to work through before I'm rid of this lot so I can change the media again.

Col

Collapse -

by hop228a In reply to

Okay....possibly I was thinking of CDR/RW media that shows 700MB available rather then DVDR/RW media.

When I had Roxio,when I insert a DVDR/RW media,the file manager would just display 0MB available,which I thought was something wrong,until you clarify.When I attempt to burn anything to the DVDR/RW media,it would say that no CD or incorrect CD media type is detected in the drive.Uninstalled Roxio to try Nero,and again Nero says the same thing.Can't remember the exact message,but can reinstall and let you know.

I haven't changed DVD batch....yet....thinking of getting some new batch to try,but they are pretty expensive,will visit a computer fair soon.

I think I've had these DVDRW media for about a year,some used before and never used.I've stored them on top of my computer case in its box,and no sunlight/heat exposed to the media.

Collapse -

Collapse -

OK with Roxio if you are using Easy 5 you have to change the media type from CD to DVD or the other way around but with Roxio 6 this is an automatic process. That could have been your problem at the start.

As you have not said which version of Nero you are using it gets a bit harder but the latest version you still have to change from CD to DVD or you can leave it on the default CD/DVD which for some reason doesn't work quite as well.

I would just buy a single DVD and try it out as that is still the cheapest way to test your burner you do not need a spindle of 50 or 100 as if your burner has died for some reason you'll need the money for a new one which are currently Are $176.00 AU for Sony DRU800A Internal Dual Layer DVD burner, 16X max DVD+R/+RW & Dual Layer DVD Burning (max - 16x CAV; 8x ZCLV; 4x CLV), 16X max DVD-R/-RW & Dual Layer DVD Burning (max - 16x CAV; 8x ZCLV; 4x CLV), 48X max CD-R/CD-RW CD Burning (max 48x CAV; 24x ZCLV), Works with 4.7GB DVD-R/DVD+R/DVD-RW/DVD+RW and 8.5GB DL DVD+R/-R Discs, 2MB Buffer Memory, Includes Nero 6.6 Software Suite, Included Accessories - Black Face Plate, ATAPI Cable and Mounting Hardware, User?s Manual.

You can find a exchange rate converter at the following URL http://xe.com/ which will give you some idea of the RRP in your area and most likely you'll be able to pick one up cheaper anyway. I like the Sony's as I've had very good results with them and have yet not had one fail after 3 years of using them, The pioneer ones don't seem as good as I have one in my LY which is begging to show signs of problems and it was only new in December so I'm a bit put out by the whole thing. The Liteon's don't seen to be as good either and are about the same RRP as the Sony's so for the $3.00 AU difference I always use the Sony Model and as the single layers are now almost a non issue they are not cheap enough not to make them worthwhile currently they are only $30.00 AU cheaper than the Dual Layer units so again

Back to Hardware Forum
13 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next