General discussion

Athlon 800+Windows 98SE=Big Problems?

By ladfm ·
Hey--
I have a custom built system, that contains the following:

Athlon 800 Processor, FIC AZ-11 motherboard with VIA Apollo AT133 and 686A chipsets with latest BIOS upgrade, Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 40 GB HD (UDMA 66 - Primary Master on schedule 80 cable); formatted as 2 drives (C and D), 1.44 floppy, Creative Labs CDR and CDRW (Secondary Master and Slave), Iomega Zip Drive attached as slave to the HD (is this a problem??), generic DIMM memory ((2) 128 sticks), running Win98SE as the OS.
This machine runs great in DOS. However, when running in Windows, crashes frequently (at least once per hour), even when running the screen saver. Seems more prone to crash when there is lots of drive activity, but does occationally crash when doing word processing, internet, etc. There isn't any one program that will crash this system. Have uninstalled chipset drivers and re-installed several times. I've also formated the hard drive and re-installed the OS 3 times. I've had the same results each time.

Is this a hardware failure of some type? Is there a way to isolate what the problem is? What now?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

18 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by vcunningham In reply to Athlon 800+Windows 98SE=B ...

If you could email me and tell me a little more about what programs startup when the PC is started. what is the settings in your bios to run your processor? and what is the FSB set to.

Collapse -

by ladfm In reply to Athlon 800+Windows 98SE=B ...

Tried this in the past.

Collapse -

by trichard In reply to Athlon 800+Windows 98SE=B ...

Go to Start -> Programs -> Accessroies -> System tools -> System Information. Expand the hardware tree and check for Sharing/Conflicts of IRQ's. Try to be sure the IDE controller is not sharing an IRQ. In fact you want to limit sharing to as few IRQ's as possible. What I have found helps is going into the BIOS and disabling any Serial or USB ports you do not use, this will free up some IRQ's. You might also want to set 'PnP O/S' in the BIOS to NO.

You also may want to try running without the Zip attached and see if that resolves the problem. This could very well be your problem.

Collapse -

Tried this first before issuing question to group.

Collapse -

by djoubert149 In reply to Athlon 800+Windows 98SE=B ...

ok, well it certainly looks like you got yourself a nice little toy for christmas. Y'know what, if this fix doesnt work, you can trade PC's with me. Sure its only a 366mhz with 192mbRam but it works great with no problems (other than the standard windows related issues.)

I've found that with Maxtor Hard Drives the DMA compatibility sometimes has some issues. I think its because your processor is not Pentium. I dealt with a similar situation before. What i'd do is this:

go to your device manager and as stated by the other answers make sure there are no conflicts. If there are then fix them FIRST; either by re-installing Hardware, or re-assigning memory addresses or whatever. Then, while still in the device manage, dbl-click your Maxtor Hard Drive to bring up its properties, and then click the settings tab. You should see a checkbox for DMA. If it is UNchecked...(and im betting that it is), then check it (and be sure to read the warning that will pop up!) and reboot. That worked for me.

If it is checked however...maybe you wanna uncheck it and just see what happens. Since you got that nice creative labs cdrom, AND cdr, you should have all your stuff backed up and be ready to format and re-install everything if need be. But you shouldnt need to worry about that. Worst comes to worse, go in, in safe mode, and put it back to the way it was and reboot, and look for another solution.

That should reduce your crash/freeze rate significantly. Mind you though windows WILLinevitably crash on you from time to time, just because its windows. But you should notice a difference. Please let me know if this works for you.

bigdav149@yahoo.com
David

Collapse -

Made these changes, not sure if they mattered or not. Bad memory (?) was the problem.

Collapse -

Someone else wanted more info. Here is the info that I sent him:
Programs that startup with 98:
ScanRegistry, TaskMonitor, System Tray, LoadPowerProfile, Atikey, AtiCwd32, Real Tray, Norton Auto-Protect, VsecomrEXE, Vshwin32EXE, MS Office Startup, AOL Tray Icon, Internet Answering Machine.

Processor settings in Bios: Auto

FSB Speed: 100MHz; processor not overclocked.

Collapse -

by tech In reply to Athlon 800+Windows 98SE=B ...

Have you checked to see if you have the proper wattage power supply. And have you checked for thermal problems from the CPU. Those two problems are sometimes overlooked. They can cause you to crash at random times.

Collapse -

250W, 2 case fans, heatsink and processor fan.

Collapse -

by richard_barsby In reply to Athlon 800+Windows 98SE=B ...

Hi have you tried it without the zip drive installed.

Best of luck

Rich

Back to Desktop Forum
18 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next