General discussion

automating windows 2000 set up

By tommyle_boston ·
>I have a small network with a Win 2000 Server and user, I would like to know "Is it
the possible I can the process of automating setup in volves creating a script file ?
because I don't wanna to installing Windows 2000 on each computer.Even after Windows 2000 has installed, I still have to configure options such as network settings and desktop options. However, there's a way to do all of this automatically, which lets I start the installation process on several new computers, go do something else, and have the process completed by the time I come back. This automatic process is even cooler if I think about how many hours the process would take to perform the old-fashioned way.However I really thanks your help me about automating windown 98 setup!great I so happy about your techpublic !!
thanks

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by joer In reply to automating windows 2000 s ...

1.You first must create a distribution folder at the root of the server, the easiest way to do this is to use the Setup Manager tool located on the Win 2k Pro CD.
2. You must create an Answer file, usually named Unattend.txt. This tells Setup how to interact with the distribution folders and files that you create. There are 2 ways to create this file:
a. The Setup Manager wizard to create it automatically.
b. Notepad to do it manually.
The setup manager contains the basic prameters for an install. To add additional and custom parameters use the text editor. An example of this would be putting the product key in the answer file. This would go under the [UserData] heading, and would be typed like this: ProductID = "xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx". You would enter the product key of your Win 2k Pro CD.
Hope this is of help to you.

Collapse -

by tommyle_boston In reply to automating windows 2000 s ...

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

by pschuvie In reply to automating windows 2000 s ...

With Windows 2000 there are several tools which help you do just what you want to do. And one aspect of doing it has been mentioned above.

At the microsoft technet site there is a full set of information and tools to show the the various ways this can be done. This action is covered in the keyword of Deployment and Automated Client Installation.

The specific page I would recommend is:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/win2000/win2kpro/deploy.asp

There are two specific tools often referenced for this type of automation one being Sysprep and the other RIS.

Also if you have the Windows 2000 resource kit there is a lot of specific direction in there and would be a very handy investment if you dont have it.

HTH

Collapse -

Collapse -

by ross.bale In reply to automating windows 2000 s ...

We are just deploying Win2000 pro here, we have created a test machine and finalised the build with applications such as winzip etc, then created an image with Norton Ghost. Then deploy the ghost image on the machine, you only have to rejoin the machine to the domain once you have given it the correct name. This avoids using RIS (Which requires Active Directory and DNS running on Windows 2000 server if you only want to deploy Windows 2000 Professional. Also if you use the GDisk utility, you can get ghost to remove the old partition on the machine and create a new one intelligently using 100% of disk space and formated as NTFS. If you require any further info, drop me a line at ross.bale@upcbroadcast.co.uk

Collapse -

Collapse -

This question was auto closed due to inactivity

Back to Windows Forum
7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)