General discussion

Award BIOS 4.51pg Stops

By mikeb ·
A friend of mine is having a problem and has asked me to help. She has a older system with an AMD PR-166 and Award BIOS V4.51PG. Somehow after the POST the system just hangs.
I've tried;
booting to Floppy (yes I changed CMOS)
pulled all the cards (except VIdeo) out
change the Halt on Error to 'no to all'
disconnect the HD

All POST message seem in order also. Of course they did nothing before the problem
Any ideas?

Thanks
mike

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Award BIOS 4.51pg Stops

by dmiles In reply to Award BIOS 4.51pg Stops

First of all reset the CMOS,then check the Award bios web site and see if there is a update to flash the bios,next go to the video manufacturers web site and download the latest driver to the video card.
Hope this helps

Collapse -

Award BIOS 4.51pg Stops

by mikeb In reply to Award BIOS 4.51pg Stops

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

Award BIOS 4.51pg Stops

by pikikoko In reply to Award BIOS 4.51pg Stops

I have the same Bios. It was hanging and at times the error message would state the Bios could not support USB. Does she have USB?
I removed all USB then ran Checkdisk/R to see if the HDs were ok. Award has merged with Phoenix Technologies. I have put in a request for a new bios and have not received a response. I am using W2k pro. on this machine and I think the OS doesn't like the Bios.
Is she running W2k? I removed all USB devices and the machine is doing ok. Try removing all USB to seeif this helps her.
I believe my Bios and Her Bios are getting outdated. I can live without USB untill I get a new board or new Bios.
Good Luck.
Mike

Collapse -

Award BIOS 4.51pg Stops

The CMOS had USB disabled and she doesn't use them. Can't boot at all so running any util is not an option.

Collapse -

Award BIOS 4.51pg Stops

by BV2 In reply to Award BIOS 4.51pg Stops

I'm guessing bye-bye mobo - if you can't boot to the floppy, then either your proc or your mobo is fubar'd.

Collapse -

Award BIOS 4.51pg Stops

my sedements exactly. I'm at the point were I have to much time into it and it an OLD pc. Time to bury the dog and get a new one.

Collapse -

Award BIOS 4.51pg Stops

This question was closed by the author

Back to Desktop Forum
7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)