General discussion

basic 2003 server questions

By e_canaan ·
Hello there,

I'm new to Win 2003 environment.
I'm setting up win 2003 SB for for a 30-employee company.I created an OU for the company in Server Management in AD.

How do you specify the home folder when you create a user? And where should the folder be?
I'm assuming users should see their home folder as a mapped drive(I: or H:) just like Novell!!

Also,in general where should the data be, should I create my own folders or use the built-in shared folders.??

I appreciate any advice.
Thanks

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by CG IT In reply to basic 2003 server questio ...

there is a default c:\documents & settings\<username> \my documents unless you want to redirect a users home folder to a network share. here is a Microsoft KB article on redirecting the my documents [and my pictures ]

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310746

you can use DFS you centrally locate shared folders on a network file server which can be searched in Active Directory.

How and where you create, administer and manage shared resources in an Active directory environment should be part of the preplanning in network design taking in consideration user requirements for file access and further collaboration on projects.

Collapse -

by CG IT In reply to

Creating shared resources [which shared folders are a part of] is a matter of what users need to have available to them to do their job and for the IT administrator to be able to administer those shared resources without a lot of effort.

Collapse -

by p.j.hutchison In reply to basic 2003 server questio ...

The home folders are created on Windows server in a share e.g. \\server1\Home\%username% and specify this in AD Users and Computers in the Profile tab of each user (or user Folder Redirection in the GPO)

On the server you would create a folder called Home and share it. You may need to create the folders and set permissions to allow users to see them.

Collapse -

by e_canaan In reply to basic 2003 server questio ...

Thanks guys for your help!!!!

Collapse -

by e_canaan In reply to basic 2003 server questio ...

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)