Software

General discussion

Best server for Exchange 2003

By tcrisswell ·
we are desiging an Exchange server for a company, they feel there is a specific server to use for this,y question is what is the best Server to use (they prefer Dell) in this case

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by jschein In reply to Best server for Exchange ...

Dell has the best support / response to any server. It all depends on the amunt of users, the amount of mail you will allow per user storage and future plans.

At a minimum, ensure you have raid 5 with hot swappable drives. This will ensure no complete downtime of the server and will result in no corrupting data unless all drives crash (highly unlikely)

Space ( 200 - 400 gb is usually enough ) size once again depends on personnel.

Speed - dual processor (Virus scan will use some good processor bandwith)

Memory - Gig minimum

Backup drive - DLT's and Ultrium drives are perfect (Fast both for backing up and restoring / + can do incremental backups resulting in savings from purchasing 100 tapes)

A Specific system? There are none specific, with dell, they will build and suggest their best server with your specifications.

Good Luck.

Collapse -

by bbowling In reply to Best server for Exchange ...

I agree that Dell is your best bet. I have about 150 E-Mail boxes with a limit of 500mb each and I am using a Dual Zeon (866mhz - 1.5MB memory) PowerEdge 4400 server. I have had it for three years with no major problems. Dell has a four hour respone time and the last time I had to use them I received the part in two hours (bad power supply). I would do a RAID 1 for your boot/system and a RAID 5 for your store. I think Microsoft says you should have your log files on a seperate hard drive.

Good luck.
Bill