Question

Best suited NVedia Geforce AGP card for Intel desk top board D865GSA

By joshihyd ·
I work on 3d studio max with the following system. Mother board:Intel desk top board D865GSA ( original board ) with Intel pentium D processor 820+, 2.8 GHz. with 1 GB RAM. I donot have any difficulty in working with the software but, when it comes to rendering, it is taking lot of time. Now, I want to speed up the system for quicker renderings. Is it better to go in for Nvedia Geforce AGP card? If so, what is your best recommendation whether to go in for 256 MB? or 512 MB?. Which is the lastest available in the market that can be supported by my present system.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

couple of questions

by JamesRL In reply to Best suited NVedia Geforc ...

You could of course answer this yourself by doing a little work. But since you seem to think the world owes you an answer (I read your other thread).

What graphics card are you using now?

What version of 3d studio max do you use?

Do you have any budget limitations?

It took me all of 30 seconds to google to find this: http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/item?siteID=123112&id=10242786#section3

One of the things this site mentions is that the latest versions of the software want Shader model 3. So you want either a nVidia 7XXX series or better, or an ATI 1XXX series or better. Or one of the professional series cards like the nVidia Quadros, which are very expensive. Your best bet is an nVidia 7600 or ATI 1650 series. There are nVidia 7900 and ATI 1950 AGP cards but you will have to hunt for them - people who want high end cards use PCIexpress so the high end AGP cards are becoming hard to find in stock.
edited to add: You may also have to consider your power supply - some of the higher end cards also have higher power requirements - read the technical requirements for each card.

James

Collapse -

Nice One James

by Bizzo In reply to couple of questions

Let's see if the poster has the decency to reply and/or apologise.

Edit: He did. Nice one Joshihyd@.

Collapse -

RAM

by TheChas In reply to Best suited NVedia Geforc ...

I might be wrong, but generally speaking the best way to speed up any computer or application is to add more RAM.

I would double your installed RAM before anything else. So long as your present video card does exceed the minimum requirements.

Also, do NOT restrict the page file size at all. Set the page file to a minimum of 2X installed RAM with no maximum.

Another thing, is to close every other application that you do not need while rendering. Keep your anti-virus and other company required applications open. Close your chat, email, web applications and music players. Even if you are not actively using them, every icon in the system tray is using system resources and slowing down your running application.

Chas

Collapse -

Rendering

by demosthanese In reply to RAM

rendering has VERY little to do with your video card. The video card is only used for when you are activly modelling/animating. The raytracing/DoF/photons/subsurface scattering all happens in the renderer. What you need is more RAM and a faster processor. Specifically one with 2 or 4 cores.

I have 2 rigs at home: one that is almost identical to yours, another that has a 2core processor and 2gigs mem. I get about 70% better render times per frame on the 2core/2gig machine.

One thing you may also consider is instead of upgrading your parts, buy/build a whole new system. Im not sure if 3dsmax supports muster rendering like maya does, but if it does, install max on both, network them and let the magic happen! You will end up with 150-200% render speed increases.

As a side note, what renderer are you using? Mentalray should do OK with that rig, but id depends on your scene.

Back to Windows Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)