General discussion

Bizarre Word problem in Windows 2000

By winmorgan ·
I started having a very bizarre Word problem today. No new software installed. I *DID* try to open a file that was not a word-processing type document with Word just prior to this bizarre occurrence. When Word is opened now, it works only if I allow it to fill the whole screen. If I click on the "restore down" box in the top right hand corner (the box in the middle between the "Close" box and the "Minimize" box), it makes the window smaller (which it should) BUT...it also collapses the window into just the title bar! I do have a utility installed called WinShade which allows a window title bar to be clicked on to roll up the window like a window shade. I have so far completely uninstalled MS Office and reinstalled it, and have uninstalled WinShade, but the problem persists.

While the window is open (which now means collapsed), I can type on a document (although I can't see what I'm typing because the window is rolled up) and save it. In other words, it all behaves normally exceptI can't see anything of the document I?m working on unless I choose to work full-screen.

This doesn't happen with any other programs. I'm at a total loss. I fixed a small problem with Photoshop by getting rid of the old Preferences file and restarting Photoshop, and I thought maybe I could do the same thing with Word, but I haven't a clue where to find the Preferences.( I don't know if this would work either, it's just something I learned to try when I used to work on Macs.)

Any help GREATLY appreciated.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by DKlippert In reply to Bizarre Word problem in W ...

Here's what I do when odd Word problems occur:
1, Look for any TMP files that Word leaves around. They start with a tilde (~). Delete
~*.*
Locate and rename Normal.dot. Word will create a new one when you start it up again.
Start word on the command line (Start>Rune) using
Winword.exe /a
This starts Word without any extras. Now look at Tools>Templates and Add-Ins to see if there are any odd Add-Ins.
Let me know if this works.

Collapse -

by winmorgan In reply to Bizarre Word problem in W ...

Thank you for the quick reply. Sorry to be dense, but not sure what you mean by "Delete ~*.*" Does that mean I do a search for ~*.* and then delete any results? I tried searching for ~*.* and got no results. (Sorry to be dense...I'm much more familiar with Mac and just started with Windows recently.)

I also tried searching for tmp* but got only results that don't look like the type of files you mention...nothing starting with a tilde. Only two folders named "Tmp" and some jpegs and two Excel docs.

A search for *normal.dot* doesn?t produce any results. I typed it just as you see it here, with an asterisk at the beginning and end of the term, as someone told me I need to put those in as ?wild cards? for Windows 2000 to search. Similarly, a search for *normal* produces the following: Folders named NORMAL_T, some documents named NORMAL.CSS (which I think refer to cascading style sheets), some NORMAL.INF files which ARE MS Office templates, but I wasn?t sure if .INF files were what you meant and what I should delete?? Also some NORMAL.DIB files that seem to be .BMP files (when I check Properties).

So?I don?t know how to locate Normal.dot I?m sorry to say--when I go into Pro. Files > Office > Templates, I find files with names like Elegant Letter.dot, Elegant Resume.dot, Professional Letter.dot, Contemporary Letter.dot, etc., but no Normal.dot
I can?t figure out how to search for the ~*.* files you mention. A search for just ~ produces only one document that starts with a ~ and it?s ?~ReadMe.html.?

Starting Word via Start > Run doesn?t work with the command you suggest, but using Run and the Browse button and opening Word opens it but I then encounter the same problem as before. What you say sounds like it?sthe right thing to do, or at least a darned good stab at it, but as you can see, I?m having major trouble implementing it.

Collapse -

by DKlippert In reply to Bizarre Word problem in W ...

Go to to Windows Explorer>Tools>Folder options>View, then check Hidden Files and Folders.

Do not put the *'s before and after Normal.dot.

See if this article helps explain the process:

http://tinyurl.com/1e8b

Collapse -

by sgt_shultz In reply to Bizarre Word problem in W ...

Hi, why not use disk cleanup to get rid of the temporary files? (open My Computer, right-click the drive(s) (probably C:), pick Properties, Disk Cleanup.)
I wonder if it could be normal.dot because that would have been replaced with your reinstall,yes?
you have anti-virus software installed, functioning, up to date?

Collapse -

by winmorgan In reply to Bizarre Word problem in W ...

Thanks for both suggestions from today (9/11). Will turn on hidden files and folders, will read the article. Also, will try disk cleanup. And, finally, yes, I do have up to date virus software.

Will post responses to both further suggestions by Thursday of this week...and thanks again.

Back to Software Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)