General discussion

Boot Menu with Win2000 and 98

By M E 311 ·
OK, I have already got both 2K and 98 running. No problems with getting boot menu.

My question, Is there a way that I can hide the 98 boot option from the menu. I would like to be able to allow only certian people to use 98, and hiding the option would be perfect. 2K more secure

I have found, thru win2K, how to make the system only boot to one OS, but when wanting to start 98, have to boot 2K, change to prompt for OS, then restart.

Any thing advanced that you can do with boot menu?Where can I find info on editing it?

Would like not to purchase partition/boot magic (which will allow you to assign password for OS)...

Thanks in advance

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by avachon In reply to Boot Menu with Win2000 an ...

Hi, I'm not sure about 2k, but let's see if this is on it. On nt4 you can go to control panel | system and go to the startup/shutdown tab. Toward the top it says system startup and lists the OSs on the machine. You can set the number of seconds to wait before an OS loads. Set the nt OS to 0 or 1 and people will not have the option to select 98 (the machine will boot immediately into nt). If that is not there, edit the boot.ini (remove hidden and read only attributes)and change the seconds on the line for nt, save the file, remark the attributes and reboot. Hope this points you in the right direction. Microsoft knowledge base and technet would also have what you are looking for. . .

Collapse -

by M E 311 In reply to Boot Menu with Win2000 an ...

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

by Parbo In reply to Boot Menu with Win2000 an ...

As far as I know there is no other interactive action you can perfom in the default bootmanager then select an OS. If your users are not too sophisticated you might want to fool them with a different menu option for Win98 or implement some type of batch file during win98 setup that might ask for a password or something like that. But then there might be a tweak or different utility that can provide in your need.

Good luck

Collapse -

Collapse -

by carydahl In reply to Boot Menu with Win2000 an ...

You can edit the boot.ini file by removing the Windows 98 entry. You can also make custom entries to the boot list. When you make changes in the control panel or registry about controlling the startup OS this is where the change is made in the boot.ini file at the root of the boot partition.

Collapse -

Collapse -

This question was auto closed due to inactivity

Back to Windows Forum
7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)