General discussion

booting from an ATA100 HD

By jmalone ·
I have a computer that we recently built, It has an asus A7V, mb with a duron 800 cpu. I have put a western digital ata 100 20 gig hd on the ata ide controler (promise),I have installed win98 an made sure the drivers where installed for the promise ata 100 controler, I can not boot from this disk unless the win98 cd rom is in the cd drive. It boot fine when i put the hd on the reg ide controler. Anyone ran into the problem an found a solution for it.

jack
jmalone@horizonind.com

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

8 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by mphoffar In reply to booting from an ATA100 HD

Truely strange. I guess my first question would be what happens what you put a different cd-rom (say office) into it. If it still happens, my first guess would be you have the boot order going to CD before going to the HD.

after that, I wouldprobobly try putting the CD-Rom on the secondary controller with the HD on the primary. If that works, then you're probobly going to have to go and set PIO modes manually in the bios.

Just one more thought, I seem to recall reading somewhere that using the grey plug for the slave and blue for the master was imperative when utilizing something like ata66 or 100. Never really followed up as to the putfalls that occur if you don't do that...

Good luck to you

Mark

Collapse -

by jmalone In reply to booting from an ATA100 HD

I have the cd rom on the secondary ide controller now, This motherboard has the standard 2 ide controllers, an then the promise ata 100 controllers I haved used the cable that is for ata 66/100 devices an put it on the blue controller plug. The ata is not detected by the main bios setup but from a secondary bios that detects drives that are compatible with it on bootup. The drive is detected just fine as an ata 100 drive. I will put this machine back up on test bench an switch out the cables back to the ata 100 controller an see what difference it makes when I change the boot method. I did not think of that issue thanks for the reply.

jack

Collapse -

by redshift In reply to booting from an ATA100 HD

Are you trying to use the onboard and Add-on IDE controllers simultaneously? I haven't had much success with this as both want the same range of IRQ's. Disable the onboard IDE.

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

Point value changed by question poster.

Collapse -

by wlbowers In reply to booting from an ATA100 HD

I know what you are dealing with. To clarify the question for everyone else. The Asus 7V actually has 4 IDE controller connectors on it. 2-IDE 100s and 2-IDE standards.

I had the same problem with the same equipment and never got it resolved. I got every patch there is and I wound up putting the drive on the ATA/66 IDE primary port. It will work fine there. Sorry I don't have a resolution. This is one I will be monitoring.

Good Luck Lee

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Desktop Forum
8 total posts (Page 1 of 1)