Question

BSOD STOP 0x00000050 when USB used...

By The_Ejaculator ·
Hi
As per a previous post by a different member, I am getting exactly the same problem.

I bought a new camera for my holiday a couple of weeks ago and when I attached it via USB I got the dreaded BSOD. Since then, every time I attach any USB the same thing happens. It also happens whenever I plug the laptop into the docking station (Lenovo T400), so it seems to have caused an issue with these info in/out ports. All other ports/attachments I can connect without any problems.

I have done everything that I can find recommended on the net. I have been through the articles on the Microsoft support site, been through the BIOS, been through and cleared out all of the non present drivers, removed the camera software, just about everything.

I'm certain that it is a driver problem rather than hardware but cannot find the culprit (I'm not overly technical but can work my way around most things).

I was interested to read in the other post (STOP 0x00000050 (PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA)) about the problem being found in the minidump. I have a number of files in here but do not know how to access the information in here to see if there is a pattern.

I rely on the USB ports heavily so this is now causing me a big problem as I cannot access a lot of information that I need. Can somebody help, please!

Thanks
Phil.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

10 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

minidump

by balge In reply to BSOD STOP 0x00000050 when ...

hi
start here -

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315263

http://www.codeproject.com/KB/debug/postmortemdebug_standalone1.aspx

good luck...
cheers!

Collapse -

Shoot me a PM

by Jacky Howe In reply to BSOD STOP 0x00000050 when ...

I'll have a look at them for you.

Collapse -

A couple of things to try

by Jacky Howe In reply to Shoot me a PM

You have two problems here SYMTDI.SYS and USBPORT.SYS. SYMTDI.SYS was a previous problem that may have sorted itself out.

USBPORT.SYS

We will try and fix this by following these instructions.

1. Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, and then click Command Prompt.

2. At a command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:

set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1

3. Type the following command at the command prompt, and then press ENTER:

start devmgmt.msc

4. Troubleshoot the devices and drivers in Device Manager.

NOTE: Click Show hidden devices on the View menu in Device Managers before you can see devices that are not connected to the computer.

5. When you finish troubleshooting, close Device Manager.

6. Type exit at the command prompt.

Phantom Devices are icons that appear translucent or faded.

Delete all of the Phantom devices that are not connected to the computer. Check under Portable Devices and Universal Serial Bus controlers. Also uninstall the device if it is listed in under Portable Devices. Remove Unknown device as well.
Under Universal Serial Bus controlers remove all USB Universal Host Controlers.

Uninstall all devices under USB Controllers.
Uninstall all devices under Disk Drives.
Do the same under Storage Volumes leaving the exposed Generic volume.
Don't accept any reboot prompts until you are finished.
If you have a yellow ! with unknown devices, uninstall all of the entries there as well.

You could also rename usbport.sys in the c:\windows\system32\drivers\usbport.sys

and replace it from C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386\usbport.sys

SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M (1000007e)

SYMTDI.SYS (Norton Internet Security Filter) Try uninstalling Norton and see if you have the problem. I would be using Avast free edition for home use but that is a personal preference.

Update your Motherboard Device drivers.EG: Chipset, Video and LAN.

Collapse -

Great advice!

by The_Ejaculator In reply to A couple of things to try

Thanks a lot for your help on this. I completed all of the actions you recommended above and also ran CCleaner as somebody else advised. Restarted my laptop and bingo! It now works again! All USB's are now working fine as well as the docking station. I can't thank you guys on here enough, this problem has been driving me insane for weeks now.

Thanks again, I really appreciate it!

Collapse -

No problem, that is what we are here for.

by Peconet Tietokoneet In reply to Great advice!

Nice to know you have everything working as it should.
If you have any more problems you know where to come. :)

Collapse -

Your Welcome

by Jacky Howe In reply to Great advice!

and you know where we live if you have any future problems. Thanks for the Thumbs.

Collapse -

A few more things you can try out....

Since this blue screen does not seam to be related to anything it could be a problem to find the cure. So the best thing is:
1). Make sure you have defragged your computer.

2). Run ccleaner: http://www.ccleaner.com/

3). Make sure that your computer is not too over-clocked, if you have over-clocked your computer then go into the BIOS and reset the BIOS to Default mode, when doing this you might need to make sure that your hdd is selected as the first boot device.
Also make sure that, in the USB section of the BIOS, that the "LEGACY" is marked "ENABLE".
Hope all goes well.

Collapse -

Good stuff

by The_Ejaculator In reply to A few more things you can ...

Thanks for your reply and recommendation of CCleaner. I downloaded and ran this and it cleared a lot of crap out of my system. This and following the steps Jacky suggested has solved the problem (At last!).

Thanks for all your help, it's very much appreciated!

Collapse -

No problem.

by Peconet Tietokoneet In reply to Good stuff
Back to Desktop Forum
10 total posts (Page 1 of 1)