General discussion

Building a desktop computer "ready for the future" Intel Socket 771/775

By kare ·
Hi,
Please excuse my English and my "long" post. I want to make myself understood, and therefor I'll rather write "too much" than "too litle".

I'm currently working in programming for industrial applications, and building automation. In our buisiness, we use a lot of different programming tools, and now when all this new "nice looking" but very resource-demanding software are on the market, I feel that my computer is always running low on resources.
P.S. I do nut play games or anything at all...!! Only programming.... :-)

Now I'm going to put together a new desktop computer, and I have some ideas for this, regarding motherboards using Intel Socket 771, instead of the more common Socket 775.

I do not know very much about computers, as you probably understand, so therefor I'm asking for some tips for my new desktop. I also think that we do not use any budget, since I first would like some tips, and then I can deside for myself when I'm going to purchase the new parts (Price/size is not a problem in this discussion.....)

My idea is to use a motherboard with Intel Socket 771 because of the following reasons:
Motherboards supporting Socket 771: 1. Supports a lot more memory (RAM)
2. Supports better memory (EEC??) - Not sure about this??
3. Supports two physical processors (implement a second CPU in the future...)

As far as I know, Windows Vista Ultimatum x64 supports two physical processors. I also knwo that Intel Socket 771 is usually used for Server Applications, but I cannot seem to find anything that would go against my idea of using this for my desktop computer.
I also know that many programs today can't use two physical processors, but I do belive that this will come in the future. I also belive that software supporting x64 will come in the future...
-As said earlier, I would like to build this computer with the future in mind.

Well, I hope that I made myself clear. If I didn't, please contact me and I will try to explain.

I hope for some answers, if I'm "on the track", or completely lost....

-Best regards from freezy Norway

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

You're reasoning seems sound...

by CaptBilly1Eye In reply to Building a desktop comput ...

But be aware that EEC is 'Extended Error Correcting' RAM and is not necessarily faster than non-EEC RAM. In fact, in practical applications, I have found the opposite to be true. EEC RAM often means system pauses when there are large RAM requirements taking place and there doesn't appear to be a direct correlation to increased stability either.

Also, when it comes to dual processors.... be aware that the processors need to be from the same production batch. That means if you decide to add a second processor in the future, you will probably end having to replace the original one as well to get them to match.

Collapse -

Just some follow-up questions

by kare In reply to You're reasoning seems so ...

Hi,
Thanks a lot for your response. Nice to learn some tricks.... :-)
However, I'm kind of really "into" this idea! So; 1. Would I have to use EEC RAM, or would it be possible to use standard RAM's?
If I would have to use EEC RAM, it would also be possible to use "Fully Registered", would this be a better idea? And still, I would have the possibility to install lets say 16Gb RAM (instead of 8Gb which is commonly the maximum for standard Motherboards for the 775 socket). With 16Gb EEC RAM, would this still be "worse" than 8Gb Non-EEC?
2. If I buy both the CPU's now (when purchasing the complete computer), wouldn't this be a good idea?

If I'm still "way off", please let me know. Also if there is any other considerations please let me know.

Thanks again, best regards.

Collapse -

Hmmmmm....

by CaptBilly1Eye In reply to Just some follow-up quest ...

Sorry it took so long to reply.
I really don't have much to add.

As far as the dual processor idea goes... yes, you should probably purchase both in the beginning and in doing so confirm they are of the same production batch. The retailer should be able to confirm that for you.

For future reference: When posting a question, be sure to post it in the Questions forum rather than the Discussions forum. Many do not read the Discussions forum and taking this step helps to insure that your Question gets the attention it deserves.

Collapse -

Thanks.....

by kare In reply to Hmmmmm....

Thanks a lot....

Have a nice Christmas :-)

Back to Networks Forum
4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)