Question

Cable and DSL in the same Server with Windows SBS 2003

By rui.b.rodrigues ·
I have a Server running a windows sbs 2003 standart.
Have two kinds of internet service, cable and adsl. I need to make a division for the cable line be used by exchange and the access to websites come be used by ADSL.
I don't want to use additional sw.
Is it possible and can you help how?

tankx

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Adding another NIC card didnt help?

by w2ktechman In reply to Cable and DSL in the same ...

or have you tried it yet?

Collapse -

Sorry but you can't

by CG IT In reply to Cable and DSL in the same ...

Because Exchange is intergrated with Windows Server 2003 and Small Business Server 2003 you can't specify 2 methods of transport out of the SBS box. Traffic only goes out via the WAN NIC regardless if you run 1 NIC or 2. The connect to the internet wizard which configures the internet connection only allows 1 router / gateway to be specified.

on a more sophisticated network you might be able to direct smtp traffic to use the cable if you used a front end Exchange which sits on a different network segment [like in the DMZ zone]. Then the Front end sends mail to a backend Exchange which sits on the company network segment [interoffice mail].

HTTP requests could then use the the default gateway out. You would need to modify you DNS records where MX is on the Cable with it's own public IP and HTTP comes in under another IP. Sonicwall TZ 170s can handle multiple public address or symantec's 360 or higher gateway routers.Of Course Cisco routers will handle just about any configuration you would need.

Back to Networks Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)