Question

Can I have a tiny help with Paint Shop Pro 6.01?

By JADavis9 ·
Where do I set PSP 6.01 to save images that I create from screen prints as JPGs as default and not as PSP files?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

15 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Is it even possible to have PSP always Save as JPGs?

by JADavis9 In reply to Can I have a tiny help wi ...
Collapse -

Is it even possible to have PSP always Save as JPGs?

by JADavis9 In reply to Can I have a tiny help wi ...

I've accidentally added some info to some of my own Questions as Answers and then they get marked as Answered. They AREN'T Answered. I need some help on several things. This deal is not good since I can't find a link to unmark any of them as Answered. HELP PLEASE!

Collapse -

Try this.....

by Darryl~ Moderator In reply to Can I have a tiny help wi ...

I found 2 solutions while doing a very quick Google Search......I suppose you would look for Paint Shop Pro 6 instead of Paint Shop Pro 5 in the below examples

Run REGEDIT and navigate to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JASC\Paint Shop Pro 5\SaveAsDialog

In there is a REG_DWORD key called SaveAsPSPFormat with a value of 0x00000001 (1). Right click on the name of this key and change it so that it says SaveAsJPGFormat. Close REGEDIT and run PSP again. SaveAs should now default to JPGs.

1) Add/change REG_DWORD key called SaveAsPSPFormat (if there is one) to a HEX value of 0x00000000 (0), by double-clicking.
2) Add a new REG_DWORD (32-bit) key called SaveAsIndex with a HEX value of 0x00000007 (7).

7 is the 7th entry in the file type dropdown which means JPG. (If you set it e.g. to 1 it should be the first, AMIGA .iff)

Close REGEDIT and run PSP again. SaveAs should now default to JPGs

Collapse -

Reponse To Answer

by JADavis9 In reply to Try this.....

I ran REGEDIT and navigated to:
I don't find a REG_DWORD key called SaveAsPSPFormat. I see 2 lines that have REG_DWORD as Type. The 1st is Named Remember Last Used - value 0 and the 2nd is SaveAsJID - value 11.
Since I didn't find anything titled SaveAsPSDF, I just stopped. I guess that leaves me at your 2 steps about doing Add REG_WORDs. And I never did anything with your line starting with 7.
Can you please help me a bit more? And I appreciate your being really specific. I'm comfortable doing this but this is a bit above my league!

Collapse -

Reponse To Answer

AWESOME! Thanks so much for your help on this deal. Now if I do a screen print and Faste As New Image and then try to save it, it defaults to saving it as a JPG. COOL!

Collapse -

Reponse To Answer

I am logged in with my one and only User thing. But this site won't let me Select As Answer. It pops back at we saying "The user must be the same as the user that asked the question!". GRRRR
Anyway .... AWESOME! My screen prints will now save as JPGs by default. COOL!

Collapse -

Reponse To Answer

DARN IT! I thought this stuff had fixed my PSP to save as JPG by default but after I closed PSP and reopened it, I tried saving a screenprint again and it defaulted to Paint Shop Pro image (PSP) which it what it had been doing and I was trying to alter! But maybe Mod38 has got me pointed in the right direction regarding Preferences. I'm gonna skip down to his Reply and work there for now.

Collapse -

I just did a copy & paste from a couple searches I did....

by Darryl~ Moderator In reply to Can I have a tiny help wi ...

I don't use Paint Shop Pro nor have it installed on any of my computers so I can't look at my settings & make changes to see what happens.

The way I read the 2 examples I found (I follow the 2nd one better) is that when you go to save a file using the "save as" selection & when you click the dropdown list to select the file type, JPG should be the 7th one down (if not, then you would want to replace the "7" with whatever position it is....5, 6, etc).

It appears that you'd want to add 2 new keys, SaveAsPSPFormat with a value of 0 & SaveAsIndex with a value equal to the position JPG is in the dropdown list.

The keys are fairly easy to add, just make sure you follow the same upper & lower case as shown above & you should be okay.......but always, always, always backup that portion (or all) of the registry before making changes.....either by right clicking the folder you want & select export or by clicking file & selecting export.

Collapse -

In PSP 7 this is in preferences

by mod38 In reply to Can I have a tiny help wi ...

In PSP 7 preferences there is a "Dialogs and Palettes" tab with a checkbox for "Remember last type used in file save-as dialog". I can't remember if this was in PSP 6 but maybe you should look for the equivalent before messing with the registry...

Collapse -

Reponse To Answer

by JADavis9 In reply to In PSP 7 this is in prefe ...

I thought that something I did had fixed this issue but it hasn't yet. So on what you said Mod38, I don't see any Preferences thing up next to File, Edit, View, Image, Colors, Layers, Selections, Masks, Capture, Window, Help. But if I go in File I find Preference > and that lists General Program Preferences, CMYK Conversion Preference, File Format Preferences, File Format Associations, Customize Toolbar, Color Management, Monitor Gamma... . I think you've got me headed in the right direction! In that first one, General Program Preferences, I see a tab titled Dialogs and Palettes! Most are unchecked but I'll list them and just checkmark the ones that are checked:
Use standard Windows color picker
Display large text and colors on palettes
??? Display flat style toolbars
Do not display confirmation dialogs during save or image processing operations
Remember last type used in File Save As dialog (this must be what should be ???!)
??? Enable Automatic Roll Ups
Color Palette
??? on 2 of the 4 items
So I'm gonna try ??? that "Remember ...." one and give it a try!

Back to Peripheral Forum
15 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next