General discussion

can not access remote 2000 machine

By k_grg ·
Hi,
I am trying to access remote W2K network that is in MIX MODE using Windows 95 machine. However, for whatever reason, I have not been able to access the network. I even try batch login.

IF I use Windows 2000, it is all fine.

Any suggestions?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by kwduke In reply to can not access remote 200 ...

If all else is the same and you can login under 2000 but not 95, ck to see that the server has WINS enabled, you need this for pre win2K computers,
also are you trying to connect over a dial-up or vpn or local lan, you may have to manually enter some of your tcp/ip setting, etc.

Collapse -

by k_grg In reply to can not access remote 200 ...

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

by Joseph Moore In reply to can not access remote 200 ...

"I have not been able to access the network"
That statement is a little general. What kind of access are you trying to make? Can you PING any of the Win2K machines on the network? If not, then it is an IP assignment problem, maybe the wrong subnetmask.
It could also be, as mentioned in Answer1, dependant upon the connection type: dialup, VPN, wireless, hardwired LAN.

Now, if you mean that you can PING the Win2K machines, but you can't access any shared folders on the Win2K machines, then it could just be a NetBIOS problem. Win2K can disable NetBIOS over TCP/IP, which means the Win2K machines don't listen on TCP port 139; Win95 needs TCP port 139 for file and print sharing. So, if the Win2K machines are configured to NOT use 139, then you Win95 machines will NEVER see the Win2k machines.

So, just what kind of access are you trying to get? What are you trying to do?

Collapse -

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

This question was auto closed due to inactivity

Back to Windows Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)