Question

Can Office 2003 & 2007 co-exist?

By Nebraska Jack ·
I run a small in-house training facility, focusing on Office 2003 apps. I am excited about expanding my offerings to include Office 2007 but I am expecting a rather slow conversion period where I will have to teach both 2003 and 2007 classes. My question is this: any thoughts on the best way to get the two programs to co-exist on the machines (12) in my training lab? I have had suggestions including dual boot hard drives, external bootable USB hard drives or flash drives, and even running one of the programs from a server. Has anyone had any experience and/or success with these or any other options? I would appreciate any input.

amjack

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

12 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Office 2003 & 2007

by millertimes In reply to Can Office 2003 & 2007 co ...

Amjack,

You can not have Office 2003 and Office 2007 Installed on the same machine.

Collapse -

That's correct

by Nebraska Jack In reply to Office 2003 & 2007

and that's why I am seeking an alternative that has had some level of success. If I dual boot on a hard drive, do I need another OS license for the second boot sector?

Collapse -

2003 & 2007

by UserDeletedByRequest In reply to Office 2003 & 2007

Course you can have both installed both at the same time

Collapse -

FWIW..

by boxfiddler Moderator In reply to 2003 & 2007

am running both. Link to a post just posted. lol
http://techrepublic.com.com/5208-6230-0.html?forumID=101&threadID=209960&messageID=2291632

Collapse -

Really .... ?

by lawrence.bordeaux In reply to Office 2003 & 2007

That's not correct - they both are installed and running on my XP machine.

Collapse -

Reponse To Answer

by sheryarsaqib In reply to Office 2003 & 2007

Yes, you can install office 2003 & 2007 on same PC. I did install and both works fine. First you have to install the office 2003 and after it office 2007. One more thing, you must customize the installation to change the installation directory.

Collapse -

Use Virtual PC 2007 (free) from Microsoft

by DGHP In reply to Can Office 2003 & 2007 co ...

Download Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 from Microsoft http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/virtualpc/default.mspx and load the Virtual Hard drive.

I am currently teaching users with Windows XP, Office 2003, Visual Studio.NET 2003, FrontPage, DreamWeaver. In a virtual machine, I have Vista Business, Office 2007, Visual Studio.NET 2005, and Expressions. This weekend, I added another machine and am testing .NET Orcas.

It also helps me to get "up to speed" by seeing the programs work side by side.

I tried dual booting, but I need to switch too often for this to be a "reasonable" solution.

Virtual PC is not perfect and at first I was hesitant to try it. In my environment, this is the best solution.

Collapse -

Short answer is yes

by Kenone In reply to Can Office 2003 & 2007 co ...

Long answer is you'll have to be very careful doing the installs, obviously they have to install to different directories, and getting all the default settings right can drive you crazy. If you get one setup correctly and you can just image the rest that wouldn't be to bad.

Collapse -

Possible.... but not recommended....

by ThumbsUp2 In reply to Short answer is yes

.... Here's the reference and instructions on how to do it even though MS doesn't recommend it.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928091

Collapse -

Office 2003/2007 Coexistance

by DavidClayWood In reply to Short answer is yes

Order of installation
Note This order of installation also applies to the Microsoft Office stand-alone products--for example, Microsoft FrontPage.

If you want to install and use more than one version of Office on the same computer, you must install the earliest version first. For example, if you want to use both Office 97 and Microsoft Office XP on the same computer, install Office 97 first. You must follow this step because of the way that registry keys, shared programs, file extensions, and other settings are managed for each version of Office, and for the programs that are included with each version of Office.

The following table shows the order that you must use install each version of Office.Collapse this tableExpand this table.
Version | Order
Office 97 | First
Office 2000 | Second
Office XP | Third
Office 2003 | Fourth

Important If you subsequently remove one of the installed versions of Office, you may have to reinstall the remaining versions of Office in this order for each version to work correctly.

Source: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/828956/

PS

They totally ruined Office, they rammed it down our throats like facist dictators.
It would have been nice if they had included an option to use ribbons or not.

Back to Networks Forum
12 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next