Question

Can someone help? Comcast internet, WGT624 router, no wireless internet??

By cmesupport ·
Hello... I have just got Comcast internet, and I have a Netgear WGT624 router that I am trying to use to connect my computer and my XBox360 to the internet, as well as be able to use my WiFi on my iPod touch. So far, I haven't tried the XBox360, but I can't connect to the net with my iPod. I have set my Netgear router to use my computer's MAC address as well... I'm not sure, but I did get my iPod to connect wirelessly once with the Comcast internet, but while I was connected on my iPod, the internet on my computer wouldn't work at all! Please help me out... I have written down the DNS server and all other information if I need to do any configuring... There's also something that I read about the DHCP servers or something, and I know that it is enabled... Please help...

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

First determine where the problem is

by sidekick In reply to Can someone help? Comcast ...

Can you see (ping) the Netgear router for the various devices? Are the getting IP addresses? Basically, it the problem between your devices and the router or the router and the cable modem.

If everything seems to be OK between your devices and the router, then can you get to the next hop. Try a traceroute to anywhere on the internet. If you only get to the router, then the router probably can't communicate with the cable modem.

A common fix for this is to, with the router on, power cycle the cable modem.

You can also try pluggin your computer directly to the cable modem to see if that works (don't forget to power cycle the modem again, you need to do this every time you change what is plugged into it).

Collapse -

Router...

by cmesupport In reply to First determine where the ...

Ok, I plugged the modem directly into my computer, and it does work, and it also works on my computer when the modem is connected to my router, the problem is when I try to connect to the internet on my iPod and when I try to connect to Xbox Live. Also, when the Motorola Surfboard modem is connected to my router, I cannot access my router's IP (192.168.0.1), I can only access the modem's IP (192.168.100.1). Please help... I've put the computer's MAC address in the Netgear router settings, but I'm stuck... Please help!

Collapse -

Yep, sounds like the wireless settings

by sidekick In reply to Router...

From this and the other posts, it sounds like the wireless settings. It kinda sounds like MAC addresses are being filtered, but it also sounds like you are sure you didn't set it up that way, so I'll assume that is not the issue.

Are the wireless devices connecting and getting IP addresses?

Are they getting the right IP settings? (subnet, mask, gateway, DNS?)

Can you ping by IP address to the internet?

Can the wireless devices see each other?

Are there any settings allowing or disallowing devices from the wireless network out to the internet?

Wish I could offer more than the generic troubleshooting, but this will at least help narrow down the problem.

Collapse -

I have set my Netgear router to use my computer's MAC address as well...

by Snuffy09 In reply to Can someone help? Comcast ...

"I have set my Netgear router to use my computer's MAC address as well..."

you mean mac filtering?

if so try turning this feature off.

mac filtering will only allow those computers\devices with mac addresses that match the "list" on the router.

Collapse -

you mean mac filtering?

by cmesupport In reply to I have set my Netgear ro ...

No, I'm talking about the option that you select to make the router appear as your computer, or spoofing the router to have the same MAC address as my computer... I read this somewhere that this would work for Comcast because they only allow 1 or 2 MAC addresses to connect with their modems...

Collapse -

your only using one modem arent you?

by Snuffy09 In reply to you mean mac filtering?

you can have a 100 devices on your LAN as long as you are going out one "pipe" comcast is only seeing one ip address.

I would disable that feature, or set it to default, you may have shot yourself in the foot.

Collapse -

your only using one modem arent you?

by cmesupport In reply to your only using one modem ...

ok, I will disable that...

Collapse -

Disabled MAC spoofing...

by cmesupport In reply to your only using one modem ...

Ok, I disabled that, but still no avail... Still no wireless to my iPod and no XBox Live... Like I said, when I test my connection with XBox Live, it says it can resolve DNS servers... Please help!

Back to Networks Forum
9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)