General discussion

CAN’T INSTALL NT 4.0

By j15 ·
I have been trying for some time now but I can’t install NT 4.0 on my HD.
I am able to boot all three disks and even to the part where you insert the NT Cd-rom. However, when it’s time to select which PARTITION I want I get an Errormessage saying “8057 mb. Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi does contain a partition suitable for Windows NT.”

The next paragraph goes on to say “ This HD must contain Windows compatible partition before setup can continue.”……

This what I’ve tried: To fix any problems with the disk, I’ve defragged it, used Norton Utilities to fix any disk/ partition problems, my disk at once had been set on LBA in the BIOS but I changed it back to USER but still it will not install on the partition (FAT 16). I deleted the partitions that I had already set in there and tried to create a new one but it still wouldn’t install it (while in the setup screen).

Currently I have ’98 running so I’m trying to duel

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

CAN’T INSTALL NT 4.0

by Philler In reply to CAN’T INSTALL NT 4.0

Since you are using a hard drive larger than 7.8GB you will need to download the ATAPI.sys driver from service pack 4 for proper hard drive recognition. Download this driver from ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/bussys/winnt/winnt-unsup-ed/fixes/nt40/atapi/atapi.exe. Save the driver to a floppy disk & run atapi.exe & the atapi.sys file will be extracted. Label the disk 'Microsoft ATAPI Service Pack 4 IDE Driver'. Now, start clean. Boot the system using your Win98 boot disk, use fdisk to remove all logical drives & partitions. Reboot the system again using the Win98 boot disk. Run fdisk from the command prompt & select no when it asks you if you want to enable large disk support. Create a 300MB partition & set it to active. Reboot the systemwith the Win98 cd & format the partition you just created. Then run fdisk again this time select yes when it asks if you want to enable large disk support. Create an extended partion that is the size you want to have for Win98, remember to leave enough room behind thi

Collapse -

CAN’T INSTALL NT 4.0

by j15 In reply to CAN’T INSTALL NT 4. ...

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

CAN’T INSTALL NT 4.0

by dmiles In reply to CAN’T INSTALL NT 4.0

If there is not any data on the disk that you are saving,you can try Fdisk and Y to enable large disk support,Use partition magic to create the new partitions,then install Win95/98 using the Fat16 partition,now now using the setup disk for NT,and install it and you should be able to get thru using this process.Also microsoft site for technical has articles for dual booting,www.microsoft.com/dual booting/technical
Donot load the WIN98 first because it be using a FAT32 partition and NT does not read the partition,I would try loading fdisk and formatting the partition and then load 98.

Collapse -

CAN’T INSTALL NT 4.0

Collapse -

CAN’T INSTALL NT 4.0

by karma1 In reply to CAN’T INSTALL NT 4.0

Hello...

Hopefully I'm not misunderstanding your question here, it's kind of garbled. At any rate...

Boot your computer using a Win9x boot disk. Make sure your Hard Drive has no partitions set. (98 makes a FAT32 partition that NT can't read). Once your Hard Drive is totally unpartitioned and unformatted, run the NT Setup again. It should see the HD, not at it's proper size and there's nothing you can do about that. but it should allow you to create (and format) a partition of at least 1GB. This is more than enough to store WinNT's system. After NT is installed, you can access the rest of the HD through Disk Administrator. (BTW, I suggest leaving the System partition for NT at FAT16, if you have an error on an NTFS partition at least you'll still be able to boot into NT and attempt a repair.)
Another fix I don't like to recommend is get Service Pack 4's ASPI driver and copy it to your NT Setup disk. (rename the old ASPI.SYS driver just in case).

Alex.

Collapse -

CAN’T INSTALL NT 4.0

Collapse -

CAN’T INSTALL NT 4.0

by ec364 In reply to CAN’T INSTALL NT 4.0

Your Hard Disk might have a hard drive overlay installed. You have to remove this in order to install Windows NT successfully.

Look for your hard disk utility disk that came with your hard disk and boot the PC from it. When your hard disk utilityis running, navigate through the menu and locate for, something like "advanced setup" or "manual setup." Search through the menu hierarchy till you get to an option to "remove drive overlay." When successful, restart your PC with the Windows NT startup disk 1. Follow the prompts. Create System Partition not more than 2GB if you plan to use FAT16. If you plan to use NTFS, you can only create a system partition up to 4GB. Then create the rest of the space to another large partition.

Good luck!

Collapse -

CAN’T INSTALL NT 4.0

Collapse -

CAN’T INSTALL NT 4.0

by j15 In reply to CAN’T INSTALL NT 4.0

This question was auto closed due to inactivity

Back to Desktop Forum
9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)