General discussion

Cannot open Excel 2000 attachments

By kerry.howard@welcon.com. ·
I am running windows 98 and office 2000. Everytime I get an email in outlook 2000 which has an Excel 2000 attachment I cannot open it. I can open these attachments on other computers. I have reinstalled all components of office 2000 set the settings the same as the other computers with no luck. Has anyone else come across this porblem?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by tohara In reply to Cannot open Excel 2000 at ...

Just to rule out a problem with Excel, try saving the attachemnt to the hard drive and open it from there. If you still can't open it, uninstall, then reinstall OFFICE2000.
Now, reinstall outloo and apply service packs.

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by Garlin In reply to Cannot open Excel 2000 at ...

You didn't mention whether other attachments open or not, but if others also don't open, here is a tip that can fix many a program.

Open a dos box, and type in SET.

Make sure that both TMP and TEMP have definitions, and that they are valid directories. (Often C:\Windows\Temp.) (It is also a good idea that the all names on the temp path are 8 letters of fewer, and do not contain spaces. Eg. "C:\John Smith\Temp" would be a bad choice.) If they are not properly defined, you must edit AUTOEXEC.BAT and reboot after fixing it. AUTOEXEC.BAT should have lines like:

SET TEMP=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP
SET TMP=%TEMP%

or

SET TEMP=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP
SET TMP=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP

Make sure that the directory really exists, and if it is on a securabledrive (not likely with Windows 98, but this tip may be read by a Windows 2000 or NT user), make sure the user has full access. If not, fix the problem by creating and unsecuring the directory.

(This is also a good time to verify that the path includes the Windows and Windows\Command directories, and that winbootdir and windir both point to the Windows directory. If not, seek help.)

Make sure the hard drive has sufficient room. If there is less than 100MB of free space, make sure that the free space, less the space taken up by the files in the recycle bin is greater than 50MB. (The reason why, although Windows may report free space, a lot of programs hang when they try to use it if the free space is occupied by files in the recycle bin.)

If the above does not fix your problem, then as someone has already suggested, try to save the file to a hard drive. Display the file in Explorer, and right click and select properties. The file type should be "Microsoft Excel Worksheet", and the file extension should be .xls. If the extension is not .xls, then the file is not a standardly named Excel file, but for some reason the other machines are set up to read them a

Collapse -

by Garlin In reply to Cannot open Excel 2000 at ...

I went to post this addendum, and note that half my previous answer was cut off!

However, since this is more likely the solution, I will not rewrite.

The following article looks like a solution:

OL98: Unable to Double-click to Open an ExcelAttachment
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q231/3/50.ASP

The essential portion of the article reads:

To correct this problem, follow these steps:

Close the e-mail message.

Start Excel.

On the Tools menu, click Options.

Under the General tab, click to clear the ignore other applications check box, and then click OK.

Quit Excel.

Now you will be able to double-click the attachment to open it in Excel, and can save it to the hard disk drive.

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Software Forum
6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)