Question

cannot print to remote printer in 2003 server

By eddie ·
hi. i have a brother mfc printer connected through USB to my XP machine. i use remote desktop to connect to my 2003 server. i want to printer from within 2003 server to the xp printer. how do i do this?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Using Remote Desktop

by HAL 9000 Moderator In reply to cannot print to remote pr ...

I'm not sure that you can do this as you are not really in control of the server you are just using it remotely.

If you log into the 2003 Server directly can you then print to the remote printer? Actually come to that is that MFD actually capable of being used across a network many aren't.

It may be better to connect the MFD directly to the 2003 Server and use that as the remote printing point which should allow you to print using Remote Desktop and directly from your workstation. Provided that the MFD is capable of being used across a LAN and that you have drivers for that device to connect directly to the 2003 server if it's a 64 Bit version of 2003 this could be a problem.

Col

Collapse -

Remote printing

by anthony.bryson In reply to cannot print to remote pr ...

In order for your printer to work since the drivers are not default to Server 2003, You have to load the print drivers locally to the server. After that is done, you will need to make sure your remote desktop settings are correct. Open remote desktop. Click on options, then click on the local resources tab and make sure printers box is checked in the bottom of the page. I would go back to the general tab and click on "Save as..." save it in the default location as the default name and when prompted to overwrite click yes. If you check your printers and faxes after you remote into the server, you should see "Printer Name (from computername) in session #"

Back to Networks Forum
2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)