Question

Cannot Set up Microsoft Outlook 2003

By Mandekins ·
I got Microsoft Office 2003 several years ago, and never figured out how to use Outlook, so I never bothered with it. Now, I really need to use it, and I can't seem to set it up.

When I click the icon, it opens up a window that asks me for a sign in name and password (the Outlook program is behind it). It already has my IP address there (originally, the box came up asking me to enter it, but now that box doesn't even come up anymore, so I have no idea how to change it if that was the wrong thing to enter there), and asks me to sign in to that IP address. I have no idea what that means. I don't know what my log in name or password would be. (if it has anything to do w/ the sign in to connect to the internet, i have no password for that, and putting in nothing doesn't work).

I have tried everything I can think of to sign in there. If I try pressing "cancel" or just "x" out of that box, the entire Outlook program closes, saying that it is not available to work offline. I cannot get past that point. I can't even open the program at all.

I know how to set up my email once the program opens, but someone please help me figure out how to open the program! I am not tech savvy, and I really expected this to be more user-friendly and easy to understand.

(by the way, this is AT HOME, not on an exchange server)

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

control panel

by patb071 In reply to Cannot Set up Microsoft O ...

What OS are you using? Its easier to give directions. If you go to the control panel and select mail. You should be able to set-up the mail count in there(Vista). It would also help if you tell us what e-mail service you are using. Yahoo, Aol, ISP(which one). Then we maybe able to find directions for you.

Collapse -

Operating System and Email

by Mandekins In reply to control panel

I am using Windows... I don't know what year, but not vista or anything. It's probably around 2003 as well.

I use Gmail, but I've looked at the instructions for setting it up in Gmail. That is not the problem. The problem is beginning the Outlook program in the first place. I can't get to the part where I add email accounts. I can't get past the part where it's asking me to log in to my IP.

Collapse -

Okay, for starters, are you connected to

by Darryl~ Moderator In reply to Operating System and Emai ...

the Internet when you are attempting to start Outlook?

If you are not, it would attempt to make a connection to the Internet....if not available, it would try to open in Offline Mode.

Connect to the Internet before opening it & give it a try.

Also, as suggested above, you can also set up your email account in the control panel.

Collapse -

Connected to Internet

by Mandekins In reply to Okay, for starters, are y ...

I am definitely connected to internet. I will try to set up email in the control panel (I have to wait 'til I get home from work to try), but it doesn't seem like it would solve the problem. I am basically wondering what is the sign in it is asking me for. It just says something like "IP: ###" (can't remember the number offhand), and then "Sign in" and has a space for username and password. I haven't set up any username or password, so I have no clue what it's asking me for.

Collapse -

I can't imagine it's asking for your IP

by Darryl~ Moderator In reply to Connected to Internet

It's almost like it's asking for the IP of the e-mail server you're trying to connect to, but you said you haven't set up an account yet....so....you also said it's been a couple years since you last did anything with Outlook....maybe way back then you were messing around trying to figure it out & set up (or attempted to set up) an account. If you go to the control panel & open the mail accounts there, you can see if any other accounts exist.....if there is, you'll want to delete it...Outlook doesn't like it when you try to delete the "only" account so make your new one first, then delete the old one (if it exists).

Give that a try & see how you make out.

Collapse -

ISP

by Mandekins In reply to control panel

Oh, and my ISP is Time Warner.

Is that the info you need? I'm sorry. I know nothing about this kind of thing.

Back to Networks Forum
6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  

Related Forums