General discussion

Cannto install Outlook 2000 without upgr

By Tom_Brown ·
We are in the process of upgrading from cc:Mail to Excgange 5.5/Outlook 2000. Most of the clients have Office 97 Pro (with Outlook 97). We uninstall Outlook 97 and Install Outlook 2000 (after a reboot). This is where our problem lies. When installing Outlook 2000, if the client PC does not have MSIE 4.01 or higher, we need to install it. The main problem is that we cannot install MISE 4.01 or higher. Everytime we try to install it, the machine tries to connect to the Internet and fails. We are running a TCP/IP, NT based LAN with a non-standard proxy port. Even thopugh the proxy is configured propperly in the WIN95 PC's, it still does nto load. We have tried to install MSIE 5, and 4.01 from a network share and from the MSIE 4.01 CD. On someof the machines we have had luck with removing all mentions of outlook from the registry and rebooting. Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated!

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by RMmcp In reply to Cannto install Outlook 20 ...

I have run into problems getting 4.01 and higher install on some clients because the IE Setup program looks at the machine and wants a specific set of files for that OS. And I've found that it wants different files for OEM vs retail. Get this, it seems to want something different for Win98 vs Win98SE. Go figure. You'll have to take an exact version of each OS in use and download all the files. I ran the Setup/Download program and selected Custom and Select download files only. Then select all files except the Language support. I would then make a folder for each OS version on the Server and store a copy of the files there. The best way to install it is copy the Windows Update Setup Files folder directly to the local boot partition of the client and run the IEsetup.exe from it. I've had the least problems this way.

Collapse -

by Tom_Brown In reply to Cannto install Outlook 20 ...

Tried copying to the local HD with same results.

Collapse -

by hotindia In reply to Cannto install Outlook 20 ...

It seem that you dont have the full version of the IE 5.0 upgrade. When you have the full upgrade version than it will not look for the internet connection.
When you have the only setup and compressed minimum version than it will look for internetconnection to download other componentes required to installed. I have face the same problem and figuredout in this way. so find out the full upgrade version and install it. I hope it will work without any problem for checkiing the internet connection.

thanks

Ravi Sharma

Collapse -

Downloaded the full version and burned to CD as well as copying to a network share. Still getting the same errors.

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)