General discussion

Cant edit Bios in Toshiba Portege M400

By frickina ·
I received the above tablet pc. I turned it on and it has a password before entering windows xp. I enter the bios, but cannot edit or make changes. I read in the setup

HDD built in
Password User Only
User Password Not registered

I removed cmos battery and recharged, nothing changed. Does this model have cmos clear jumper? Will that help? Ugh, beautiful laptop but can't use it.

Thanks for your help.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

12 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Ummm...TR does not assist with password recovery

by robo_dev In reply to Cant edit Bios in Toshiba ...

it's the law.

most modern laptops use an encryption-protected chip to store power-on passwords in order to make it a brick to anybody who steals it. If you could just reset it by disconnecting the battery, it would not be very secure, would it.

Collapse -

Sell it

by santeewelding In reply to Cant edit Bios in Toshiba ...

To a greater fool, then go "receive" another. Best of luck.

Collapse -

Wow really!

by frickina In reply to Sell it

So thanks all, for saying I am stupid and a thief. Nice place to come to! WTF!!! I have no problem going back to the original owner so they can call Toshiba and provide documentation of ownership. I thought I could save the hassle. Thanks for jumping on my case.

Collapse -

Give it back

by shasca In reply to Cant edit Bios in Toshiba ...

This is a built in test to verify if one is intelligent enough to use a Laptop. You flunked. Give it back.

Collapse -

Real nice thanks!

by frickina In reply to Give it back

If you know it all, why don't you just tell me? My guess is you can't! For your info, I have owned an HP Laptop for 5 or more years, know very well how to edit bios when its not protected. In this case it is, and it doesnt prompt for pw and cant enter windows and edit any other way.

Collapse -

You're most likely up against a hard drive password that uses encryption

by robo_dev In reply to Real nice thanks!

If you could defeat the entire 'toshiba easyuard security' feature by some advice that somebody gave you on an online forum, how secure would that be?

If you're the legit owner of this laptop, and it's not stolen, contact Toshiba.

Toshiba even has the equivalent of LoJack built into the bios of that model:

Computrace BIOS-agent Support

Enables support for Computrace?s range of solutions, including LoJack for Laptops (Computer Theft Recovery) and Computrace Complete (Computer Theft Recovery, Data Protection, and Secure Asset Tracking).

http://explore.toshiba.com/innovation-lab/easyguard-security

Collapse -

do you wish to install os on your m400?

by johnlovart In reply to Cant edit Bios in Toshiba ...

it is difficult to access the bios without the password. however there's still a way to install os on m400. that's right! send me a reply if you are interested.

Collapse -

do you wish to install os on your m400?

by ishti54 In reply to do you wish to install os ...

hi
i have forgotton bios password on my toshiba m400 tablet pc. please help me out what to do .
thanks

Collapse -

Toshiba m400 tablet pc Bios Password

by ishti54 In reply to Cant edit Bios in Toshiba ...

hi
has anyone fixed the bios password problem. i m having the same problem that i can't use my m400 because i have forgotton the password. as soon as i switch it on it ask me for a finger swipe of password first.
any idea will be appreciated.

Collapse -

Passwords.

by CharlieSpencer In reply to Toshiba m400 tablet pc Bi ...

TR members do not assist password recovery. Do not respond to this thread
The members of TechRepublic - A Resource for IT Professionals, will not assist anyone in the recovery of lost passwords. You may have a legitimate reason to recover a password. However, we cannot verify your motives and will therefore not assist anyone in what may be an attempt at gaining unauthorized access to a computer system. Due to the open nature of this forum, any assistance given to help circumvent security measures, even for legitimate purposes, would be available for unscrupulous individuals to use for illegitimate purposes. This is a risk that we the members of TechRepublic will not take. Please do not ask questions of this nature on TechRepublic.

If you have a legitimate need to circumvent a password scheme, please contact the vendor for the software / hardware and request their assistance. E.g. Windows XP password recovery issues should be taken up with Microsoft's technical support, Phoenix BIOS password recovery issues should be taken up with Phoenix Technologies, etc.. To those viewing this post: Please DO NOT respond any further to this thread.

This template has been released under the GNU public license and you are encouraged to use it as a standard reply for questions of similar nature, provided that you make any modifications available to other users.

Back to Tablets Forum
12 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next