General discussion

Can't empty recycle bin on Win2000

Some how I've managed to put a "System Volume Information" folder into the Recycle Bin.
Each time I try to empty the bin I get an error message saying that "Cannot remove folder Dd27: Access is denied. The source file may be in use".
I've tried rebooting, starting in safe mode, changing the bin to Remove immediately; I even tried to restore but Windows has recreated the folder and won't allow me to overwrite it.
Please help as every time I go to empty the Bin, any files starting after "S" have to be removed manually.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by sbest67 In reply to Can't empty recycle bin o ...

Have you tried to restore the folder? Or, you might try re-naming the folder and then clear the attribs

Collapse -

by TOAB In reply to

Have tried restore, cant overwrite the new one created by the OS.
Rename fails with "The system cannot find the file specified".
Attrib in DOS gives Access Denied error.

Collapse -

by daimon In reply to Can't empty recycle bin o ...

What OS are you running?
If your running XP or similar you might be able to go back to a previous restore point on your computer and that will just restore all the files as they used to be. Any recently installed programs will need reinstallation, but documents etc will remain as they are.

Try looking at:

If you haven't got a restore point there then it may be a little more difficult.
Let me know what you've come up with.

Collapse -

by TOAB In reply to

Im using Windows 2000 Professional SP4, fully patched by Windows Update.

This version doesn't support system restore (AFAIK).

Collapse -

by i.a.h.bradshaw In reply to Can't empty recycle bin o ...

Try Tweaki, this can remove files in use by the OS. You'll have to point to the file manually, i.e. not through the recycle bin, but with the full path.

Back to Windows Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)