General discussion

Can't Enable Wireless on DI624 Router

By DMasters ·
Just updated my DLink DI-624 rev C firmware to ver 2.75. Almost everything works except I can no longer turn on the wireless, disable the SSID broadcast or alter the security protocol. The "Accept" button just doesn't response on the Configuration Menu's Home > Wireless page.

I sumbitted the problem to DLink via e-mail but no response. Do I wait for them, revert to an older rev or am I doing something else wrong?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

10 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by mjd420nova In reply to Can't Enable Wireless on ...

Try a hard reset, by pushing and holding the reset button, hidden behind a small hole on the back, for thirty seconds. That will reset everything to the default settings and password.

Collapse -

by mjd420nova In reply to

The usual default password is "blank", or just enter. If that doesn't work, then the hardware has failed.

Collapse -

by DMasters In reply to

Understood. This was tried several times before I started reverting to older firmware revisions but didn't help the situation.

Collapse -

by DMasters In reply to Can't Enable Wireless on ...

Attempted the hardware reset and the problem remains. The firmware version is still 2.75 but I suspect that is expected.

Previous configurations were not reloaded, iaw the update instructions.

Collapse -

by HAL 9000 Moderator In reply to Can't Enable Wireless on ...

Are you sure that you got the correct Firmware Update?

I would try reloading he old Firmware and see if the WiFi section works again it's possible that D Link has the wrong Firmware update listed and that is your problem.

If the WiFi doesn't work on the old Firmware you have a bad WiFi device and it will mos likely need replacing.

Col

Collapse -

by DMasters In reply to

Thanks. This was a legitimate troubleshooting approach. I reverted to rev 2.40 through all of the more recent verisons except the rev 2.71b, and then increased to rev 2.50, my previously stable configuration.

Collapse -

by biocoder In reply to Can't Enable Wireless on ...

DMaster,

I had the exact problem and I found that installing 2.71b first and then installing 2.75 fixed it.

You can get 2.71b from ftp://ftp.dlink.com/Gateway/di624_revC/Firmware/

Collapse -

by DMasters In reply to

Thanks, although I didn't get this far, yet.

Collapse -

After following the advice provided here and from an exchange of e-mails with two D-Link Tech Reps, I have returned to a stable state by following the directions they provided for WinXP to return the router to "...crash recovery mode...". I also updated the wireless card's driver:

Win2000/XP
1. Go to the Control Panel and Network Connections Icon.
2. Right click on the Local Area Connection icon and go to its properties
3. Double click on the TCP/IP properties.
4. Switch to Specify IP Address
i. for IP type in 192.168.0.99
ii. for subnet use 255.255.255.0
iii. for gateway 192.168.0.1
iv. for preferred DNS server use 192.168.0.1
v. leave secondary DNS server blank
5. Click on OK to apply the changes.

-Power off the Router.
-Hold a paperclip in the reset hole and hold it in there.
-Power up the unit and continue to hold the reset. After 30 seconds remove the paperclip.

Now try to access the 192.168.0.1 configuration page. You should be greeted with a firmware upgrade page. Now try to upgrade the unit.
When you see the page that says "Device is Restarting" wait 30 seconds and then click continue.

Thanks for the help.

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Hardware Forum
10 total posts (Page 1 of 1)