General discussion

Can't install '98 on AMD K6-III 450

By ssolomon ·
A friend of mine was putting together an AMD K6-III 450 box and ran into some trouble, so he asked for my pseudo-expert help. Ever since the system was put together it has had many problems. It's basically the equivalent of a whiny teen who won't do anything without complaining. Now, when we try to install windows, we always get a different crash. Sometimes after selecting the region, sometimes earlier, sometimes later. We have tried different RAM, the jumpers are all correct, the only cardis a video card, and the board is by Alton. Any suggestions? I would guess it would have to be the motherboard or CPU, but would like any input before I take that approach. Thanks.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

24 total posts (Page 1 of 3)   01 | 02 | 03   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by GremlinTRM In reply to Can't install '98 on AMD ...

Hi,

Not knowing your HD & MB Chipset i can only suggest this:

Get a utility from your HD mfr. to slow down
your Hard Drive to PIO Mode 4 or less.

In the BIOS, disable the L2 Cache and UDMA,
set RAM access to slowest possible & no BIOS
shadowing (System, GFX, SCSI). All Pipeline
Caches etc. disabled.

If possible use FDISK & FORMAT to remove & re-define a partition. Otherwise FDISK /MBR.

Install Win98 & re-enable L2.

If your HD is an ATA66, check that your MB,
Chipset, Cable & Driver support it.
Check your OS, (Microsoft?), MB, Chipset &
HD Mfr. for updates, bugfixes & workarounds.

CU,#Glenn

Collapse -

by ssolomon In reply to Can't install '98 on AMD ...
Collapse -

by trurod70 In reply to Can't install '98 on AMD ...

Delete the partition and reinstall it using FDISK. Then reformat the HD.

Collapse -

Collapse -

by calves In reply to Can't install '98 on AMD ...

You have some good answers here, but I would like to give you my version.
What I would do is this:

Using a Win98 BootDisk, Boot the system from the diskette, and use the following commands:

fdisk /mbr
then
fdisk
say yes to use the large disk capacity and preferably, say yes to use the total size of the disk.
delete any existing partition, reboot, and do the above steps, except that now you'll create a new partition.
esc, esc until you reach the prompt.
Reboot and go to the CMOS, select in boot sequence to boot from CD first.
Insert the 98 CD into the CDR and boot, installation will boot from CD and Format your HD. From there on it should be smooth sailing.

Good Luck!

Collapse -

Collapse -

by TomSal In reply to Can't install '98 on AMD ...

I don't have anything new to offer you because the first answer posted is exactly what I would have you do as well. I just thought I'd back up that guy's answer to re-enforce its validity for you - I am a systems engineer.

What that first guy (sorry I forgot his name) said will basically let you know if its a mobo problem, since once you disable all cache your mobo is just a connector for all the parts to talk to each other, and little more.

Fdisking and a format, after all said instructions are done should help you out. Keep in mind that AMDs have a bad rep for overheating and becoming unstable as a result, so ensure that there is adequate fan coverage.

take care.

Collapse -

Collapse -

by McKayTech In reply to Can't install '98 on AMD ...

You've received some excellent answers from a technical perspective. Personally, I think you have a defective motherboard and, as a result, I have a little bit different take on this situation.

Yes, you could do all the things suggested but should you have to? By my definition, a motherboard/CPU that requires all these tweaks just to load a plain vanilla OS is a defective component and should be returned to the vendor for one that works. From a pragmatic standpoint, if this is what it takes just to get going, what are the chances that it's going to result in a stable system. I mean, this guy is your friend, right?

I would probably try one last install on a fresh partition but then it would be off to the vendor to negotiate a replacement.

paul

Collapse -

Back to Desktop Forum
24 total posts (Page 1 of 3)   01 | 02 | 03   Next