General discussion

Can't install applications in Win 2000

By JSG ·
Various SETUP.EXE install programs either won't run or don't complete properly in Windows 2000 Pro SP1. I am logged in as Administrator, there is masses of free disk space and memory, there is a valkid temp directory, proghram files directory, WINNTdirectory. I have run the protected files checker and checked everything else I can think of including the MS KB. It's not just one install program - APCC's Powerchute won't run at all, IBM's ViaVoice 8 runs but fails to install half the files, MS'sOffice 2000 runs fine with no problems, but Autoroute won't run at all. Can anyone suggest ideas?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by kenalmoore In reply to Can't install application ...

You haven't mentioned the hardware you have, ie cpu, memory etc. I am guessing you have plenty of resources.
Run the "SFC" at command line, sfc /scannow.
SFC checks about 2700 files, mostly sys,dll, exe, ttf, ron and ocx files that were originallyinstalled. Is this OK?
Seems I would try these programs on several other PC's with Win 2000 to rule out the possiblity of Win 2000 being the problem. Is the problem with only ONE pc? My feeling is the programs may not be compatible with Win 2000.Check with vendor of programs!!
Hope I helped.

Collapse -

by JSG In reply to Can't install application ...

Thanks, but I have tried sfc /scannow - no problems found. And the programs do install and run on another W2K machine. CPU: Athlon 1GHz, 256MB memory, plenty of virtual memory. The programs noted above are supposed to run on W2K.

Collapse -

by PhiltheGreat In reply to Can't install application ...

Big headache!
Some suggestions:
1) Try to contact the software vendor e.g. IBM ViaVoice 8 may have some software bugs and may not 100% be suitable in win2000.
2) Check if some problems are addressed in win2000 Pro SP2.
3) Any special changes be done before you find these problems? Or it just happen when you are just setting up the whole network?

Collapse -

Thanks for the response. IBM eventually produced a service release, but it did not solve the problem. SP2 did not solv the problem. In the end, a full, clean, re-install of W2k solved the problem. It took a whole day to reinstall everything. Bur I still don't know what the cause was.

Collapse -

Big headache!
Some suggestions:
1) Try to contact the software vendor e.g. IBM ViaVoice 8 may have some software bugs and may not 100% be suitable in win2000.
3) Any special changes be done before you find these problems? Or it just happen when you are just setting up the whole network?

Collapse -

Duplicate of Answer 2

Collapse -

Big headache!
Some suggestions:

Collapse -

Duplicate of Answer 2

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)