General discussion

Can't install shared printer from 2003 Server

By qb4006 ·
I have 2 new Canon IR5570 printers installed and shared on 2 different Win 2003 Servers. These printers work OK from the server itself but I have XP SP2 PC's that can't install these printers from either server. When I try to install the printer on a XP workstation I get an error that states the server doesn't have the correct driver installed. I double checked the driver and downloaded the latest drivers from Canon's website with no success. The workstations can't install the shared Canon printer. I have a lot of HP printers on the network that install OK but the Canon won't work on the workstations. If I manually install the drivers after getting the message it works OK. I was hoping to not settle on this becasue I have several users I want to setup on these printers

Any ideas folks? - The drivers on the server are definetly correct. They are good for 2003, 2000 and XP

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by CG IT In reply to Can't install shared prin ...

Canon doesn't provide network drivers off their web site. That's why you have to install the drivers manually on each station after you install the printer.

Collapse -

by CG IT In reply to

note: Its something Canon does. Dunno why but there ya go. HP provides network supported drivers on their web site. Might see if you can isolate the .inf driver file and stick it in a shared folder and see if that works.

Collapse -

by Blackcurrant In reply to Can't install shared prin ...

Hi

I am with CG IT on this one.

I had to do exactly the same with a couple of Win98 machines a few years ago. I copied the printer driver files to a shared folder and used the 'Have Disk' prompt, and navigated to the shared folder when installing the printer.

Good luck

Collapse -

by HAL 9000 Moderator In reply to Can't install shared prin ...

With the Image Runner Series you need to use the Canon Driver Install CD to install from the workstations and point them to the IP address that they the printers are connected to.

Unless there is some valid reason to have then connected directly to the server I would tend to connect them directly to a Switch and work that way.

Col

Collapse -

by HAL 9000 Moderator In reply to

Just one thing that is important here you need to use the CD's supplied with the IR Photocopiers as the Drivers provided at the Canon Web Site are not as advanced as those supplied with the copier when new as these are an Option Extra which cost about 1.5K so that you get the ability to scan print and store your data onto the copiers.

It would also help to know what interfaces are fitted to these printers if you have the RJ45 sockets use those as apposed to the Centronics which are not as reliable.

Back to Windows Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)