General discussion

Can't install Win 2000 hangs on Devices

By nlyons15129 ·
I was having problems with my computer. Hardware some how was disabled. Could not reinstall. I Reformatted my hard drive and was reinstalling Windows 2000, but everytime it gets to where it is detecting and installing devices, it stops. I installed Windows 98 and it let me do it, but most of my hardware is unistalled and I can't seem to install the drivers for printer and other devices. If anyone knows what is going on here, I would greatly appreciate your help.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by statykserver In reply to Can't install Win 2000 ha ...

Have you tried resetting the bios to default setting s? Maybe the settings have been changed by someone? After that you might try reinstalling again. Also before you format you should fdisk the drive and repartition it to remove any informaion from the drive. (I have seen some information remains when just formatting the drive.) If that doesn't work you should try flashing the bios with an updated version. If you try all that to no avail then it appears that your motherboard might be bad.

Collapse -

by nlyons15129 In reply to Can't install Win 2000 ha ...

I have done all of the above except flash the BIOS. Any other suggestions. I am going to remove all my hardware and try to install without it, just to get into windows 2000.

Collapse -

by w2ktechman In reply to Can't install Win 2000 ha ...

When reinstalling, unplug all external devices, these can be installed afterwards. If it is a notebook, many do not install well if it is in a docking station.
This should limit the drivers it is looking for, and may let the install finish. If not, there is probably a failed piece of HW somewhere on the system.

Collapse -

by w2ktechman In reply to

Also, I have seen a speedstep problem before. Disable it in the bios. XP installs speedstep ver.2. But some systems' HW cannot use it, so disable it in the bios, install XP, and then install speedstep ver. 1 drivers then re-enable speedstep.

Back to Windows Forum
4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)