Question

Cant load XPPro on a 200 gig sata hd

By jpensmith ·
everytime I try to load XPPro on my 200 G HD. Once I get to the create partion part of the loading process my computer shuts off. I have an A8N-la MOBO and 4 gig of memory.and a 200 gig samsung hd.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

15 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Did you press F6 durring XP install?

by ThumbsUp2 In reply to Cant load XPPro on a 200 ...

You need to load the SATA drivers before XP. During setup/install, there will be a place where you press F6 to load drivers. You DO have them on a floppy/CD/USB thumb drive somewhere, don't you?

Collapse -

Missing from the SP2 CD?

by nepenthe0 In reply to Did you press F6 durring ...

jpensmith has posed a problem that has been discussed previously in the Forum, but I still don't understand what's going on here.

His computer seems to have the original SATA hard drive. Shouldn't the SATA drivers be included in the installation/recovery CD?

If the original hard drive were of IDE genre, wouldn't he have to replace the motherboard to reconfigure with a SATA hard drive?

I just purchased a WD SATA hard drive which installed without any additional drivers. Suppose I needed them? Where is the best source?

Rick/Portland, OR

Collapse -

sata and XP...

by boxfiddler Moderator In reply to Missing from the SP2 CD?

His computer seems to have the original SATA hard drive. Shouldn't the SATA drivers be included in the installation/recovery CD? <br>
That motherboard may or may not be part of a manufacturers (HP, Compaq) bundle. He may have built the PC himself. It is/was available for solo purchase. If he built the machine himself, he has no recovery discs. It's also a good bet he has no recovery partition in that case.
<br><br>
If he has an early copy of XP Pro (as I do), it will have no SATA drivers. It was the release of XPSP2 as an OS that included SATA drivers. In which case he will have to install SATA drivers from floppy, USB, or do something called 'slipstreaming' an XP disc (a something that I have no idea how to do, or even exactly what it is).
<br><br>
If the original hard drive were of IDE genre, wouldn't he have to replace the motherboard to reconfigure with a SATA hard drive? My motherboard, an ASUS K8N, supports both SATA and IDE.
<br><br>
Also, most people do not think to order a CD for a Service Pack. Even if he did have a SP disc, it's useless until after the OS is installed.
<br><br>
The best source for drivers is usually the manufacturer of the hardware in question. I keep a folder on my computer, and a copy backed up to CD of all relevant drivers for my machines. Once I have hunted them down, I see no reason to have to do so again and again. FWIW, I do the same with all the freeware executables I download.
<br><br>
HTH?
<br><br
edit tags <br>
edit again: clarify

Collapse -

Dang, you type faster than me and beat me to it!

by ThumbsUp2 In reply to sata and XP...

Nice reply though. FWIW, I do the same.

Collapse -

Didn't beat you by much...

by boxfiddler Moderator In reply to Dang, you type faster tha ...

and you got in that bit about never assume anything, which of course I forgot to add. I think you would be a good teacher! B-)

re: do the same. Sheesh, I learned that one the hard way. After a major crash and redo, I discovered, much to my horror, that I had neglected to backup my Updates and Exe's folder. I don't know how many hours I spent hunting down freebies I used a lot. Lost all my bookmarks in that one too. Didn't learn enough there, I still sometimes forget to back up those. lol

Collapse -

Teach? ]:) Back up? :0

by ThumbsUp2 In reply to ;) Didn't beat you by mu ...

I do teach a bit already, as part of my job (Technical Support). And, I even have a few who have to be retrained every Monday morning because they forgot over the weekend how to copy n paste or format a Word document or enter a formula in an Excel spreadsheet! I can almost set my watch by the ones who can't remember how to log into Outlook!

Yeah, yeah, back up, back up, save, save, back up! I tell everybody at work, save often while working on it and back it up when you're done. Geeze, you'd think I would take my own advice at home. But, I just did a back up of my own files last weekend after neglecting to do it for over a year. :0 Even after learning my lesson like you, the hard way and loosing stuff then having to find it again, I'm still terrible at following my own advice!

Collapse -

Thanks to you both

by nepenthe0 In reply to sata and XP...

I know this isn't the last time we'll see these issues raised in the Forum, but your explanations make sense, and hopefully the knowledge will trickle out to the beleaguered consumer.

It would be nice if TR hosted a Download covering this stuff. Perhaps you and Boxfiddler should jointly write one?

Rick/Portland, OR

Collapse -

:) Appreciate the compliment...

by boxfiddler Moderator In reply to Thanks to you both

inherent in your suggestion that ThumbsUp2 and I write a paper for TR.

I must respectfully decline, however. I enjoy writing, and I enjoy helping, but my plate is as full as I care for it to get. It took me a long time to realize that I need to reserve time for me and my enjoyments, and I can't commit to anything more without giving some of that up. Won't do that.

Flattery will get you almost everywhere!

Collapse -

Same here Rick....

by ThumbsUp2 In reply to Thanks to you both

Thank you very much. And, I would have to respectfully decline for the same reasons as Boxy. My plate is full.

Besides, if we made it too easy for people to find the help they are looking for, we wouldn't have the pleasure of helping them in the forums! Geeze, you don't want to take ALL of our fun away, now do you?

(danged typos that spring up when I'm laughing!)

Collapse -

Answers.....

by ThumbsUp2 In reply to Missing from the SP2 CD?

(Q) His computer seems to have the original SATA hard drive. Shouldn't the SATA drivers be included in the installation/recovery CD?

(A) First, he didn't say this was an original anything, so don't assume it is. There are many ways to install an OS and many reasons to do it. We must ask to be sure of what they're actually doing.

Second, not all computers come with a recovery CD. Some, especially custom builds, come with an OEM copy of Windows which is usually installed by the shop that built the computer and who know how to get things set up using it. OEM copies require SATA drivers. The builders usually provide a "giblets box" which contains drivers for all of the peripherals installed, including the HDD. Even if the system comes with a recovery CD, it may only point to the hidden installation partition on the original HDD where the files are actually stored. Often a person will upgrade something like the HDD and the recovery CD will no longer work because the partition is missing, so they either buy another retail copy of Windows (the legal way) or buy an OEM copy along with the HDD (another legal way) or worse, borrow someone else's to get the system up and running (the illegal way). When they're using an installation CD that is not specifically designed for the system they now have, for whatever reason, the SATA drivers must be installed before Windows will install. Note: An OEM CD is not the same as a recovery CD furnished with the computer.

(Q) If the original hard drive were of IDE genre, wouldn't he have to replace the motherboard to reconfigure with a SATA hard drive?

(A) Not if the MB had a SATA controller on it in addition to the IDE controllers. Until recently, MB's had both controllers, IDE and SATA. Most still do, but some are now coming out with SATA only controllers (bummer!). In the recent "good old days", one could purchase a computer with either type of drive in it, or both, if they wanted to. Since, in the early days of the SATA drives they were more expensive than their IDE counterpart, lots of people opted for the cheaper IDE drives. Even manufacturers cut expenses back then and put IDE drives in instead of SATA so they could sell the computer for a few bucks less than then competitors. Now, SATA and IDE prices are about the same, so people go out and buy the "new thing" to replace their older failing HDD, not realizing what kinds of problems they'll be facing to get it up and running. Yes, if the old drive is still in tact, they can clone it and be off and running. However, many people like to install fresh on their new drive (recommended anyway) so they don't bring all their old baggage into the new drive.

(Q) I just purchased a WD SATA hard drive which installed without any additional drivers. Suppose I needed them? Where is the best source?

(A) Your situation was different. I know from our previous chats that you ghosted your old drive which had the SATA drivers built into an existing installation of Windows. That's completely different than installing Windows fresh. Had you needed drivers for a clean install, you would go to the drive manufacturer's web site where you would find drivers for your specific drive as well as instructions on how to use them. Now, I also know from our previous chats that the drive you purchased wasn't listed yet on the manufacturer's web site. So, you might have been literally up the creek without physically calling the manufacturer. Often their customer support can give you access to their FTP site where you could have downloaded the drivers. They may have been written in Malaysian, but they would have been there.

Does that clear things up a bit for you?

----

Back to Hardware Forum
15 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next