General discussion

Cat5000 switch works but can't ping it

By daryl_s ·
Hi everyone
My organisation recently went through a cabling infrastructure audit which necessitated cutting some fibre across to other ports. That is all complete, but one after effect is 3 or 4 Cat 5000 switches not responding to pings or telnet requests. The switch itself works and the users are not effected. First thought was that the LECS client has not come back up after the connection was replaced. The solution to this was thought to be a power-cycling of the switch, but this has had no effect.

Any suggestions of direction to take next?

Regards

Daryl
daryl_s@bigpond.com

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Ann777 In reply to Cat5000 switch works but ...

Can you swap switches and see if the problem follows the switch or stays with the connection?

Collapse -

by daryl_s In reply to Cat5000 switch works but ...

Unfortunately no. We don't have any spare 5000 and swapping it with another 5000 elsewhere would involve unacceptable outages

Collapse -

by ckilday In reply to Cat5000 switch works but ...

Daryl,
I'm trying to picture how your network was re-arranged after the fiber cuts. Did these switches get reconnected to new/different ports on a different switch, or what? Do you have CDP turned on? You might check to see who your Cisco neighbors are. Off the top of my head I think this may relate to VLANS. If these switches got moved to a different VLAN as a result of the fiber cut, they could be operating on a different address range and you might not be able to reach the fixed address of the switch. (I'm guessing that with several 5000 switches, you're using DHCP, so your users would not really be affected by the change.) The "show cdp neighbor" command will return a list of all connected CDP devices, listing their DNS name, interface, type of device and platform (i.e.2611, 3640, 5000). When you find out where these switches connect, check their VLAN and make sure it matches what they were originally configured for. Hope this helps.
- ck

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Networks Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)