General discussion

CD-ROM on a 486DX /BIOS - AMIBIOS 1992

By NccMbc ·
I need to install a CD-ROM on an old 486DX. The BIOS is by AMI, 1992. I'm using a new IDE CD-ROM, how can I get the system to recognize the drive? Are there any default CMOS HD settings to get it to initialize the drive? Is it even possible without a BIOS upgrade????

Need an answer quick!

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

17 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by SyscoKid In reply to CD-ROM on a 486DX /BIOS - ...

The most important thing to know is what operating system you are using. If it's Win 95 it should be plug and play.

If you're using Win 3x or DOS, you need two files: mscdex.exe and the appropriate driver for your CD-ROM.

You can put them in your root directory. Load mscdex.exe in your autoexec.bat file, and the driver in your config.sys file.
There should be instructions with your CD rom about the correct syntax to use for those files. If not, let me know.

Collapse -

by SyscoKid In reply to CD-ROM on a 486DX /BIOS - ...

Forgot to mention, if you're running DOS or Win 3X, you already have mscdex.exe, most likely in C:\DOS or C:\Windows.

So for syntax,
[autoexec.bat]
c:\DOS\mscdex.exe /d:mscd001

[config.sys]
device=yourcddriver.sys /d:mscd001

And if you can't locate the appropriate DOS\Win 3x driver for your CD-ROM, try downloading a generic one here:

http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdir.htm#cdromdos

Collapse -

by NccMbc In reply to CD-ROM on a 486DX /BIOS - ...

Sorry, if the BIOS does not recognize the hardware, no software settings in the world will allow it to work.
Remember, post plug-and-play days. The BIOS determines what hardware is available to the running software.

Collapse -

by msillers In reply to CD-ROM on a 486DX /BIOS - ...

As a minor addendum to the previous answer, if you are running windows 95 (or higher) and can't get the CD recognized, try adding the drivers to the config.sys and autoexec.bat. You should be able to get the CD driver from the vendor's web or try a generic ide cdrom driver.

Collapse -

Collapse -

by tuqan In reply to CD-ROM on a 486DX /BIOS - ...

If you are running Win9x the drive should be Plug n play. But I have a quick fix for you though a little unorthodoxed:

After installing your new device Go into your CMOS Setup and have it boot to A: first if it is not already setup that way. Before leaving SETUP place your win98 Bootdisk in the A: drive. Upon bootup you will be prompted by the floppy if you want to start the computer with or without CD Support. select CD support and the generic drivers on that floppy will be copied to thesystem and windows will start.

Collapse -

same as answer #1

Collapse -

by mjchekal In reply to CD-ROM on a 486DX /BIOS - ...

I have a small question first. Is this an APTI or IDE CD-Rom. If this is an APTI CD-Rom you may be requried to purchase an Adapter for that machine. If your bios will allow you to set it to autodetect I would select that if not I would leave the drive configuration as none. I would make sure that the CD is set slave and the HD is set for master with slave present. Than the standard install of the drivers should work.

Mike Chekal

Collapse -

Same as answer #1
Remember, the BIOS is dated 1992, long before plug-and-play and autodetect. Otherwise, it's a simple matter of turning on autodetect and let it do it's thing.

Collapse -

by Charley In reply to CD-ROM on a 486DX /BIOS - ...

you don't need a BIOS upgrade to install a CD-ROM. Your OS will set up drivers appropriately (assuming a Plug & Play OS). However, you will not be able to boot that machine from the CD. You can boot from a floppy and load drivers if you need, butyou will not boot from the cd itself.

Back to Desktop Forum
17 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next