General discussion

• Creator
    Topic

CD-ROM on a 486DX /BIOS – AMIBIOS 1992

by nccmbc ·

I need to install a CD-ROM on an old 486DX. The BIOS is by AMI, 1992. I’m using a new IDE CD-ROM, how can I get the system to recognize the drive? Are there any default CMOS HD settings to get it to initialize the drive? Is it even possible without a BIOS upgrade????

Need an answer quick!

All Comments

• Author
    Replies

by syscokid ·

In reply to CD-ROM on a 486DX /BIOS – AMIBIOS 1992

The most important thing to know is what operating system you are using. If it’s Win 95 it should be plug and play.

If you’re using Win 3x or DOS, you need two files: mscdex.exe and the appropriate driver for your CD-ROM.

You can put them in your root directory. Load mscdex.exe in your autoexec.bat file, and the driver in your config.sys file.
      There should be instructions with your CD rom about the correct syntax to use for those files. If not, let me know.

by syscokid ·

Forgot to mention, if you’re running DOS or Win 3X, you already have mscdex.exe, most likely in C:\DOS or C:\Windows.

So for syntax,
        [autoexec.bat]
        c:\DOS\mscdex.exe /d:mscd001

[config.sys]
        device=yourcddriver.sys /d:mscd001

And if you can’t locate the appropriate DOS\Win 3x driver for your CD-ROM, try downloading a generic one here:

http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdir.htm#cdromdos

by nccmbc ·

Sorry, if the BIOS does not recognize the hardware, no software settings in the world will allow it to work.
        Remember, post plug-and-play days. The BIOS determines what hardware is available to the running software.

by msillers ·

As a minor addendum to the previous answer, if you are running windows 95 (or higher) and can’t get the CD recognized, try adding the drivers to the config.sys and autoexec.bat. You should be able to get the CD driver from the vendor’s web or try a generic ide cdrom driver.

by tuqan ·

If you are running Win9x the drive should be Plug n play. But I have a quick fix for you though a little unorthodoxed:

After installing your new device Go into your CMOS Setup and have it boot to A: first if it is not already setup that way. Before leaving SETUP place your win98 Bootdisk in the A: drive. Upon bootup you will be prompted by the floppy if you want to start the computer with or without CD Support. select CD support and the generic drivers on that floppy will be copied to thesystem and windows will start.

by mjchekal ·

I have a small question first. Is this an APTI or IDE CD-Rom. If this is an APTI CD-Rom you may be requried to purchase an Adapter for that machine. If your bios will allow you to set it to autodetect I would select that if not I would leave the drive configuration as none. I would make sure that the CD is set slave and the HD is set for master with slave present. Than the standard install of the drivers should work.

Mike Chekal

by nccmbc ·

Same as answer #1
        Remember, the BIOS is dated 1992, long before plug-and-play and autodetect. Otherwise, it’s a simple matter of turning on autodetect and let it do it’s thing.

by charley ·

you don’t need a BIOS upgrade to install a CD-ROM. Your OS will set up drivers appropriately (assuming a Plug & Play OS). However, you will not be able to boot that machine from the CD. You can boot from a floppy and load drivers if you need, butyou will not boot from the cd itself.

by hiltont ·

Hi,

On some boards you have to set the BIOS to “None” for the location of the CD-ROM (Pri/Sec Master/Slave) for the CD-ROM to detect and work (as it it not a *HDD*, then “None” is the appropriate selection for some CD-ROMs).

Of course, on other boarfds, you need to select “Auto” for the BIOS to ennumerate the CD-ROM properly. There’s no easy way to “know” which is correct – try “None” first.

If this fails, then maybe the newer CD-ROM is incompatible with the older BIOS. It may be worth looking for a BIOS upgrade for the motherboard – what manuf/model is it?

Regards,
      Hilton

by mickeythecat ·

You probably aren’t going to like this but….My suggestion would be to get rid of the boat anchor and get a newer computer. The upgrades could end up costing you way more than this system is worth. And even if you upgrade everything you can, you will only be able to run programs that are compatible with the slowest, oldest part of your system. Upgrading your RAM alone could cost as much as a new computer. (The older RAM chips are very very very expensive and hard to find). Building a car with parts is not cost effective nor is building a computer (unless the parts are free). Sorry to rain on your parade. Charlie

by nccmbc ·

LOL…We have a winner!

I came to my own conclusion 15 minutes after posting this question that it is not possible to connect a new CD-ROM to a BIOS that was made when the technology was not common.

I simply upgraded the customers MOBO and recycled as much as I could. Your very correct about the ram. NOTE TO EVERYONE = If you have functional 30 and 72 pin RAM, auction it off at EBay, you’ll get enough to pay off your Christmas credit card bills and help technicians who need the parts. 🙂

by nccmbc ·

This question was closed by the author

i can’t boot amibos 1992 into windows can any body HELP HELP HELP HELP

by gediboy11 ·

Hi I have an old Gateway 2000 intel pentiam processor amibios 1992. I dug it out the atic the other day, and i had to clear the jumpers to clear the password. However it loads, but won’t boot into windows, it just says insert bootable media into the appropriate drive. I do not have any media atall, as the computer used to just start up from normal, until one of my old friends messed with it. God knows what he done, i dont see him these days. I have tried the setup, but aint got a clue, what should be where, tried to burn a windows disk, but wont accept it, only accepts the Dos disk. Just keeps going back to isert bootable media into appropriate drive, It dosent seem to boot of the hard drive, and i have swapped everything about in the boot menue with CD first, hard disk next, and floppy third. no joy. When machine starts up it says Floppy a insalled, hard disk 0 installed. CAN ANYBODY HELLLLLLPPPPPPP. THIS IS DOING MY HEAD IN

Viewing 8 reply threads