General discussion


change name of previous user to new user

By mnedil ·
I have a windowxp home edition computer with service pack 2 installed. My son's name was used when I installed windowsxp. I want to change it to my daughter's name (my son has his own computer) but in documents and settings, his name appear as a folder. Windows will not let me change the name since it contains system files. Is there a way to change the name of the folder or can I replace the folder completely in my daughter's name? Please send me any suggestions you have. I look forward to your response. Thanks. MMN

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by TheChas In reply to change name of previous u ...

I don't have an XP home system to check this on at the moment.

On my XP Pro system, you can change the user name in account settings.

Open Control Panel.

Open User Accounts.

Select the account and select the change user name option.

You can also change the image for the user that appears on the log-on screen.


Collapse -

by mnedil In reply to

Apparently windowsxp home edition does not work the same as windows xp pro. I am sure there is a way of changing the account in Windowsxp home edition as well but the accounts are set up differently. Any other solutions?

Collapse -

by TheChas In reply to change name of previous u ...

One thing I forgot to mention:

You may need to be logged in as the administrator, or at least have administrator privileges to change account settings.

Choose to log off.
On the log-in screen, see if there is a listing for an administrator account.

If you log in as administrator, you will need the administrator password.


Collapse -

by tigers7612 In reply to change name of previous u ...

can you access his account? if you can, go to control panel and click user accounts. from there you should select the account you wish to change. there should be a "change my name" link there. just selct that one and you should be able to change it to what ever you want.
If you can't log into his account make sure the account you use to do this has system administrator rights like Chas said. you should still be able to change it that way.

Collapse -

by wcp In reply to change name of previous u ...

The account and profile will be linked together no matter what you do.

Let?s say your son?s account is John and you changed it to your daughter?s name.
So she logs in as her name but her profile will be forever associated with folder name John under Documents and Settings.

The only way her account and profiles to be same is to create (not rename) an account, say Jane, and copy John?s folder contents to Jane?s.

1. Create an account name Jane.

2. Log off and log in as Jane. This will create profile (folder) for Jane.

3. Log off and log in as Administrator (not your daughter?s name or Jane).

4. Open Windows Explorer. Click Show hidden files and folders and clear Hide extensions for known file types and Hide protected operating system files (Recommended) boxes (Tools < Folder Options < View).

5. Copy John?s contents to Jane?s.

You may delete the account of your daughter?s name and files. This will delete folder John under Documents and Settings.

Collapse -

by mnedil In reply to change name of previous u ...

This question was closed by the author

Related Discussions

Related Forums