General discussion

Changing Current User in Access 2000

By Dan_Cohen ·
We have a very large Access 2000 database running as a runtime that takes about 20-30 seconds to open on a 933mhz PC. We do not have the proper permissions to see what code is running at start-up. After the initial start-up, the database runs quickly.

To avoid delays for users, we would like users to be able to login and out without closing the database and opening backup.

Does anybody know a way to do this?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by mslizny In reply to Changing Current User in ...

Access 2000 security is activated when the command to open a database is received. There is no program utility to log out of one user name or group and log back in without closing and opening. However, your database developer could possibly write code to enable this kind of user-switching activity (I understand that you are probably trying to avoid incurring additional charges by talking with them about your needs).

Collapse -

by Dan_Cohen In reply to Changing Current User in ...

The information is helpful, but does not solve the problem.

Collapse -

by Mark Phelan In reply to Changing Current User in ...

Access has no in built function to log out, or back in when the database is open. This can only be done when the database is first opened.

It is possible to write a security screen within access, that can be used to restrict and allow various actions.

If you have a serious database Size problem, the best solution is to split the database up, programatically loading the required tables etc at runtime.

what you are asking is "how do I avoid fixing this problem" rather than "how do I fix this problem"

Collapse -

So, the answer is no.

That's all I wanted. No need for any additional comments after that.

Thanks.

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)