General discussion

Changing PDC in Windows Server 2003

By winkyrules ·
Recently, I bought a new Server with Windows Server 2003 installed on it. The old PDC also has Windows Server 2003, but it is going to be taken off of the network and moved to a different location. I need to mirror the old PDC and have the same file structure and permissions on the new server. Is there any recommendations on an easy solution to to complete this prosses?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Solution

by BFilmFan In reply to Changing PDC in Windows S ...

Place the server in the domain.

Promote the serer to domain controller status.

Make the domain controller a global catalog.

Migrate the role PDC Emulator via the following steps:

Open the Active Directory Users and Computers snap-in from the Administrative Tools folder.

If you are NOT logged onto the target domain controller, in the snap-in, right-click the icon next to Active Directory Users and Computers and press Connect to Domain Controller.

Select the domain controller that will be the new role holder, the target, and press OK.

Right-click the Active Directory Users and Computers icon again and press Operation Masters.

Select the appropriate tab for the role you wish to transfer and press the Change button.

Press OK to confirm the change.

Press OK all the way out.

Collapse -

Question

by winkyrules In reply to Solution

I have followed the instructions you gave me, but it did not address my file server on my old Server. Is there a way to move the files on the old server to the new server without losing the permissions and settings, or will i have to reset all of the folders permissions?

Thanks for your help!

Collapse -

Moving files with permissions

by audigo In reply to Question

You can move/copy files with all ntfs permissions
with a free utility like RoboCopy latest version
used to come with server resource kit.

A more flexible way is a purchase product like
VisaVersa .

Back to IT Employment Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)