General discussion

changing windows 2000 product key

By joshrob ·
hi,

i have win 2000 supplied by the msdn academic alliance. unfortunately the cd i was given by my msdnaa administrator is not bootable. i have no floppy drive in my laptop, so making boot diskettes is not an option for me. i needed to have a os installed quickly so i downloaded from the msdnaa website the no-key-needed-version of w2k and now would like to change the key to the one registered to my name in msdnaa and make use of the windows update.

is there any way to change win 2000 key?

i looked up the win2000 forum till the year 2002's posts but did not find any answers.

regards,
jacob

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by HAL 9000 Moderator In reply to changing windows 2000 pro ...

I think that Key Finder works on Y2K. You can download this and change the product key if the version that you have installed supports that Product Key that you have.

http://tinyurl.com/b01p

While this should work I'm not sure that the installed version of 2000 will actually accept the old Product Key but it's worth a try.

Col

Collapse -

by joshrob In reply to

Poster rated this answer.

Collapse -

by joshrob In reply to changing windows 2000 pro ...

(i'm not familiar with this script, hope this comment will appear as a answer to hal's reply.)
no. i've tried jelly bean, unfortunately it does not allow to change product key in windows 2000. at least not in my copy of w2k sp4. it works with win xp and as i know usses a ms-provided script allowing product key change.

jacob

Collapse -

by SkipD In reply to changing windows 2000 pro ...

Jacob -

Microsoft has a tool that will strip out the SID from a Windows installation permitting you to replace it. This tool is normally used to install Windows OS to multiple computers from one image.

To get the Windows 2000 System Preparation Tool (Sysprep) to change the key go to:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/downloads/tools/sysprep/default.asp

And follow Microsoft's directions.

- Skip

Collapse -

by joshrob In reply to

thanks, i'll try sysprep then.

regards,
jacob

Collapse -

by joshrob In reply to changing windows 2000 pro ...

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)