General discussion

Locked

character encoding problem using ASP

By stergios_nik ·
Hello,

I have an NT 4 Server, running IIS-3, with SP6. I have 2 access 2000 databases on the \ hard disk.

I have installed both Engish (US) and Greek character support at regional settings/keyboard on SERVER.

If I open the access databaseon SERVER using MS Access 2000, I can see those records that contain GREEK characters without problems.

The problem is to do with the fact, that when I execute the ASP code to retrieve information from the database using an Internet Browser, I see that the records containing greek characters produce results using the ? character instead of the greek character expected.

Of, course the output is unreadable and awful, because I have many records of the form: ???????????????. The records containing english letters are OK!

On my client PC I have installed greek support and I have checked my browser for GREEK encoding, too.

Please If you have any idea what is causing this problem, please help!

Day8th.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

character encoding problem using ASP

by Astute In reply to character encoding proble ...

This will help you

http://www.asptoday.com/articles/20000330.htm

Good luck

Collapse -

character encoding problem using ASP

by stergios_nik In reply to character encoding proble ...

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

character encoding problem using ASP

by gbworld In reply to character encoding proble ...

The article suggested will not do you any good, unfortunately.

In order to force the browser to render in another language, you need to have the character set specified in a META tag. The proper tag for language is:


<meta http-equiv="Content-Language" content="el">

For english you can use "en-us" for United States English. For a complete list of language codes:

http://www.w3.org/WAI/ER/IG/ert/iso639.htm

This should help if you have the language packs installed. Internet Explorer will automatically install the packs if they are not present; not sure about NetScape (I doubt it).

Gregory A. Beamer
MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

Collapse -

character encoding problem using ASP

by stergios_nik In reply to character encoding proble ...

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

character encoding problem using ASP

by stergios_nik In reply to character encoding proble ...

OK! PROBLEM SOLVED.. THANKS TO ALL THOSE THAT POSTED THEIR ANSWER. THEY REALLY HELPED ME IN FIGURING OUT WHAT IS GOING ON...

THE SOLUTION IS HERE:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/psdk/iisref/eadg6e7n.htm

http://www.kostis.net/charsets/cp1253.htm

Also, I had to use the following meta tag for displaying correctly the greek characters after applying the greek code page:
<meta http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-7">

Many thanks to all and a happy new year!

Collapse -

character encoding problem using ASP

by stergios_nik In reply to character encoding proble ...

This question was closed by the author

Back to Web Development Forum
6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  

Related Discussions

Related Forums