General discussion

cisco 1720

By johnnywatt ·
Is there any reason(s) for using a Cisco 1700 Series router as a firewall and router combination against your Internet circuit/connection?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Depends

by jmgarvin In reply to cisco 1720

I would do a traffic analysis. If you have heavy traffic it will be a bottle neck if you do this. If your traffic isn't that bad, you might want to consider this.

HOWEVER:
1) It can be a security issue. It is always better not to put all your eggs in one basket.
2) I'm not a big fan of the 1700 series to begin with, so you might want to think about putting up the router and then the firewall behind it.
3) Setup can be a bear, so make sure to have your ducks in a row. Setup NAT on your firewall and make sure your routing tables are right.

Collapse -

The setup

by johnnywatt In reply to Depends

The setup is what concerns me. I would like to purchase a PIX 501 and change the router configs to just route the fractional T1 data straight to the firewall.

Collapse -

hmmmm....

by jmgarvin In reply to The setup

So it would be

PIX501 (Firewall/router) <-> whatever?

That sounds like it should be ok, but you are going to take a performance hit if you get a lot of traffic. You might also consider setting up a router <-> firewall <-> whatever to see what has the least overhead.

Collapse -

Yes that's the one

by johnnywatt In reply to hmmmm....

Yes, I want to setup so T1 > Router > Pix > network

Collapse -

I see no problems

by jmgarvin In reply to Yes that's the one

That should work. I'd setup a test bed and hammer it with traffic to make sure your router -> pix isn't bottle necking, but everything should work fine.

Back to IT Employment Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)