General discussion

Cisco 2514 router

By mark-it ·
I have a Cisco 2514 router I'm using to learn more about routers and such. I'm stuck in the chutes. I have the router connected to my NT 4.0 w/SP5 server via the RJ-45 Roll-over cable and COM port is configured as it should be, but when I turn on the router, nothing happens on the server console. Am I not suppose to see the system configuration dialog screen? Any help at this point is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Cisco 2514 router

by acattr In reply to Cisco 2514 router

I would suggest you use another program besides hyperterm, because on hyperterm you cannot initiate a ctrl-break(to stop CIsco from Booting the IOS) in the version included with NT4.0.

If you have an actual serial console cable (be curtain it is a console cable) connected from the PC to the cisco, make sure your settings are

com port: which ever you use.
baud rate(bits per second): 9600
Data Bit: 8
Parity: none
Stop bit: 1
Flow Control: none

Collapse -

Cisco 2514 router

by mark-it In reply to Cisco 2514 router

Sorry, after seeing the next two responses and trying those, I have to disagree with your approach. But thank you anyway.

Collapse -

Cisco 2514 router

by RCOM In reply to Cisco 2514 router

The default parameters for the console port are 9600 baud, 8 data bits, no parity, and "TWO" stop bits not one.

I've set these routers up using hyperterm plenty of times and it works great.

When the router first boots it takes anywhere from 30-60 seconds to complete so give it time to finish before trying to console in.

Only connect the console port untill configuration is complete.

You didn't quite explain it all the way so have to ask. You're not connecting the router to your network card are you? It needs to be connected to the serial (com) port on the PC and the console connection on the router.

Are you using the 9 or 25 pin terminal adapter that came with the unit?

Are you connecting to a com port that you know is working and enabled in the system BIOS?

Here is the link to the configuration instructions

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/access/acs_fix/cis2500/2501/2500ug/conf.htm#xtocid2886215

Collapse -

Cisco 2514 router

Thank you for your response. It helped me move forward.

Collapse -

Cisco 2514 router

by superhill In reply to Cisco 2514 router

Answer #2 is correct as I have a 2514 also and i had to find out the hard way that you need to use 2 stop bits. if you are on the computer and boot up the router, hyperterm will pick that up.

Collapse -

Cisco 2514 router

I'm sorry, however, the previous response was one that helped, you just confirmed what I had already found out to work for me. However, I wish to thank you for your time in responding.

Collapse -

Cisco 2514 router

This question was closed by the author

Back to Networks Forum
7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)