General discussion

Cisco 2820 Switch Login

By tcl ·
Connected a Windows PC running Hyperterminal to the Cisco RS232 port. All settings as they should be, but I get no login screen, just a couple of what looks like AT responses, ATQ0Z0, and nothing entered on the PC keyboard has any effect. What am I doing wrong?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Cisco 2820 Switch Login

by facstech1 In reply to Cisco 2820 Switch Login

This switch ca be managed from a Web Browser. Do you know the IP address for the switch? If you do, open up your browser and type in the IP address and you should be good to go.

If this doesn't work. Verify that you have it set on the right com port and the settings for the baud rate are correct.

Collapse -

Cisco 2820 Switch Login

by tcl In reply to Cisco 2820 Switch Login

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

Cisco 2820 Switch Login

by McKayTech In reply to Cisco 2820 Switch Login

It sounds like Hyperterminal is pointed to a COM port that has a modem on it rather than to a direct serial connection. I would recommend double-checking that the port you're using on Hyperterminal is, in fact, your direct serial connection - particularly on some notebook computers, that is not always easy to discern.

If you have the right cable and adapter and you're using 9600 baud, 8 data, 1 stop, no parity, one press of the enter key should bring up the console screen. Also, note that the Cisco DB9/RJ45 adapter requires a "rollover" cable which is different than a regular or crossover Cat5 cable.

paul

Collapse -

Cisco 2820 Switch Login

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

Cisco 2820 Switch Login

This question was closed by the author

Back to Networks Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)