Question

Cisco 3560 network question

By bmcintosh ·
Hello, all!

I am an RF guy that is in the middle of some network issues. I have configured a number of Wilibox based APs and Clients in bridge configuration to connect a number of remote locations.

We used Cisco 3560 switches in the system at each remote site - they are configured with some basic routing to allow each segment to be on it's own subnet. I am now officially out of my domain when talking about this stuff - sorry.

I am seeing some very strange routing issues - packets that should be heading to one location in the network are being sent to the wrong leg of the network. Repeated pings with tracerout show the odd packet tries to get to it's final location via a switch that is not even close to the path it should be on.

Ok, without knowing the switch configs and the network topology, you guys are probably a bit too much in the dark. The network has a couple of 3560's in the center of a hub of 2 to 4 wireless 'spokes'. These 2 hubs are connected via wireless. One hub is also connected via a wireless leg to the internet and a number of servers using a Cisco 2811 and an ASA.

Does anyone have any advice as to what to look for either in the Cisco configs or any suggestions for any packet sniffing that would help us find out why the odd packet (and in the past, it seemed to be session based) will get routed to the wrong leg of the network?

Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated. I do not discount the radios doing something goofy, or the switches being misconfigured - I just need some advice on troubleshooting!

Thanks in advance, Brian

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Protocol?

by Jellimonsta In reply to Cisco 3560 network questi ...

What routing protocol are you running? Or are you using static route?
Also, what IOS version are your switches on? You may be on deferred or 'buggy' code.

Collapse -

More version info

by bmcintosh In reply to Protocol?

We are using RIP to route through the 2 links. They both have the same cost routes, in order to share the links.

Here is the version info from the router:

Cisco IOS Software, C3560 Software (C3560-IPBASE-M), Version 12.2(35)SE5, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
Copyright (c) 1986-2007 by Cisco Systems, Inc.
Compiled Thu 19-Jul-07 18:15 by nachen
Image text-base: 0x00003000, data-base: 0x01100000

ROM: Bootstrap program is C3560 boot loader
BOOTLDR: C3560 Boot Loader (C3560-HBOOT-M) Version 12.2(25r)SEC, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc4)

xxxxxxxxx uptime is 15 weeks, 4 days, 21 hours, 18 minutes
System returned to ROM by power-on
System image file is "flash:c3560-ipbase-mz.122-35.SE5/c3560-ipbase-mz.122-35.SE5.bin"

cisco WS-C3560-24PS (PowerPC405) processor (revision Q0) with 122880K/8184K bytes of memory.
Processor board ID FDO1142Z598
Last reset from power-on
1 Virtual Ethernet interface
24 FastEthernet interfaces
2 Gigabit Ethernet interfaces
The password-recovery mechanism is enabled.

512K bytes of flash-simulated non-volatile configuration memory.
Base ethernet MAC Address : xxxxxxxxxxx
Motherboard assembly number : 73-9673-09
Power supply part number : 341-0029-05
Motherboard serial number : xxxxxxxx
Power supply serial number : xxxxxxxx
Model revision number : Q0
Motherboard revision number : B0
Model number : WS-C3560-24PS-S
System serial number : xxxxxxxx
Top Assembly Part Number : 800-25861-04
Top Assembly Revision Number : D0
Version ID : V06
CLEI Code Number : COM1X00ARC
Hardware Board Revision Number : 0x01

Switch Ports Model SW Version SW Image
------ ----- ----- ---------- ----------
* 1 26 WS-C3560-24PS 12.2(35)SE5 C3560-IPBASE-M

----------------------------------------
Again, I am not the cisco expert, so I am not able to answer all of the questions off the top of my head.

Does the above help?

Back to Networks Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)