General discussion

Cisco 3750 Stack IOS upgrade

By rajiv_venkat ·
Hi All,

Thanks in advance for the patience to go through this mail and providing solution.

One of the Cisco 3750 Stack which has 2 switches is crashing often. I logged a TAC with Cisco and they suggested to upgradation of IOS from Version 12.2(20)SE4 to 12.2(25)SE. As the current IOS is having bug CSCef17367.
But the problem iam facing is regarding the upgradation of IOS to the switches.
Flash Memory details is as below.
Flash0: 15998976 bytes total (8183296 bytes free)
Flash1: 15998976 bytes total (4215808 bytes free)
I have downloaded appropriate IOS and the size that TAR file is 8.150 MB. ( Tar file because iam using archive download-sw command,) with the above space in flash i can't use /leave-old-sw option.
My question with above available memory can i use /overwrite option ? Memory will not be a any constraint ? should i erase existing IOS ? I don't want i switch will upgrade IOS and other not.
Rajiv

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by rajiv_venkat In reply to Cisco 3750 Stack IOS upgr ...

Point value changed by question poster.

Collapse -

by mshavrov In reply to Cisco 3750 Stack IOS upgr ...

In most cases you should use /overwrite keyword to avoid versions inconsistancy. Even if your upgrade process fails, you can always reinstall IOS using the ROMMON mode (I know, it's harsh...).

Theoretically, in some cases, you may have enough space to keep old .bin file (IOS file itself), but if you know for sure that your current version has couple bugs, why to keep it?

Basically you may format your flash memory, but IOS switches keep VTP and VLAN information in separate text files. I believe new C3750 switches allow you to configure VTP and VLANs as part of normal config, but they may still use text files for backward compatibility.

So, using the "overwrite" key is safe.

Good luck,

Mike
CCNP, CCDP, CCSP, Cisco Voice, MCSW+I, MCSE W2K, Solaris, Security+, etc.

http://www.ciscoheadsetadapter.com

Collapse -

by rajiv_venkat In reply to

Mike,
Thanks for your prompt answer, and apologies for not asking question in right manner, My basic query is would i be able to upgrade IOS with present flash memory ? ( One flash has 4.1 and other with 8.2 Mb ) where as the IOS itself is 8.15 Mb ? If so how can i do it ? and what are the things i should keep in mind ?

Rajiv

Collapse -

In most cases you should use /overwrite keyword to avoid versions inconsistancy. Even if your upgrade process fails, you can always reinstall IOS using the ROMMON mode (I know, it's harsh...).

Theoretically, in some cases, you may have enough space to keep old .bin file (IOS file itself), but if you know for sure that your current version has couple bugs, why to keep it?

Basically you may format your flash memory, but IOS switches keep VTP and VLAN information in separate text files. I believe new C3750 switches allow you to configure VTP and VLANs as part of normal config, but they may still use text files for backward compatibility.

Good luck,

Mike
CCNP, CCDP, CCSP, Cisco Voice, MCSE+I, MCSE W2K, Solaris, Security+, etc.

Collapse -

Good luck,

Mike
CCNP, CCDP, CCSP, Cisco Voice, MCSE+I, MCSE W2K, Solaris, Security+, etc.

Collapse -

by rajiv_venkat In reply to Cisco 3750 Stack IOS upgr ...

Mike,
Thanks for your prompt answer, and apologies for not asking question in right manner, My basic query is would i be able to upgrade IOS with present flash memory ? ( One flash has 4.1 and other with 8.2 Mb ) where as the IOS itself is 8.15 Mb ? If so how can i do it ? and what are the things i should keep in mind ?

Rajiv

Back to Networks Forum
6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)