General discussion

Cisco 7400

By Realm Master ·
I am starting a web hosting business and would like to know if the Cisco 7400
would make a good main network router? I will have a T1 to the internet and
two networks one for company business and the other for hosting. Any help
would be good.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Cisco 7400

by road-dog In reply to Cisco 7400

I think a 7400 is way too much club for this hole. A 36xx router will handle a serial link plus 2 LAN connections and offer plenty of room to scale up. Remember, the WAN is a T1, not that fast in the scheme of things.

Save your money, you will need it for other things, like servers and software.

click on my ID for contact info.

Collapse -

Cisco 7400

by road-dog In reply to Cisco 7400

The 2600 series router would definitely be the cheaper option of the two answers offered. A hosting service indicates a number of domains will be managed by your router. In order to secure those domains by isolating them from eachother, you will need processing power to handle the access list. If you pursue an option where you expand to additional interfaces, you might want to buy the 3600 with scalabiity as your justification. If your budget considers a 7xxx router at this point, use the "savings" to pursue a PIX or equivalent firewall platform.

Good luck with this endeavour

Collapse -

Cisco 7400

by Realm Master In reply to Cisco 7400
Collapse -

Cisco 7400

by Meganetcomputers In reply to Cisco 7400

You could probably even go cheaper and go with a single cisco 2600 router (Depending on how many clients you intend on running on these networks) which most backbone providers supply if you get them through the right company. If you need any assistance please contact me at support@meganetcomputers.com or visit our web site at meganetcomputers.com

Collapse -

Cisco 7400

Collapse -

Cisco 7400

This question was closed by the author